Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had seen the posts on diff oil seal leaks. Loading up on the trailer this morning, I could smell gear oil and sure enough there was oil all over the black part. ~300 miles on it. Front left (drivers) side.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's about right..on my 4th seal and second front differential with only1,500 miles on my X. After differential replacement (Honda covered under warranty) same result around 350 miles... leaking driver side seal!😠. This time I changed it myself and really cant find the cause of this infamous leak.

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took it in yesterday. Dealer had seen lots of these, and they said that Honda told them the problem is the differential pressure vent. Some of castings for the front differential didn't leave a big enough hole for the vent, so pressure can build up and force the oil out the seal. We haven't had much of a winter, and my last desert trip I did about 100 miles in 90 degree weather, so I can imagine there was some pressure buildup.

Not sure what the long term solution to this is going to be. I will be watching closely to see if it leaks again. Honda needs to find a permanent fix, and do a recall!

·
Registered
191 Posts
lol - they must like to replace seals

I cleared the vent line after backing off of trailer with .8 miles on OD. it was blocked with goop at frame.

Thought I was smarter than Honda.

Seal leaked at 60 miles.

Dealer replaced under warranty - tech state he thought it was in backwards.

I’m not buying vent too small from Honda

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same here checked the vent, no go all clear. Some guys are saying as long as it doesn't continuously drip there leaving it in and it finally seats. Not sure about that never left mine in long enough to test that theory. Alawys worried it could get worse on the trail. Agreed, Honda needs a recall to fix this issue. Your tech may be right, when I replaced mine I thought the same, time will tell.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Same here checked the vent, no go all clear. Some guys are saying as long as it doesn't continuously drip there leaving it in and it finally seats. Not sure about that never left mine in long enough to test that theory. Alawys worried it could get worse on the trail. Agreed, Honda needs a recall to fix this issue. Your tech may be right, when I replaced mine I thought the same, time will tell.
Tom, San Diego, Honda Talon 4S..noticed some oil lead front gear differential each side, signs of oil, checked gear box and only down about 1 oz? so not a serious leak issue so far?? I usually check all gear levels before long rides, Dealer delivered to me with no oil in Sub Transmission, lucky I did my first service at 100 miles and notice Dealer screwed up, had they checked it I would not have been told there was no sub trans oil with checked. Good news amazing, now 1,600 miles and no trans problems so far....Dealer gave me an extended warrantee after I stopped my credit card payment until problem was rectified..Glad I put it on my Credit Card. I told Honda and they said it was Dealers fault and if I had a problem it would not fall under their warrantee as it was not a manufacture default..Now wish I would not have Called Honda as they put the no oil in sub trans information on my Warrantee records. I love my Honda, but the no oil when new caused lots of stress and I had to fight for everything I got and deserved. Tough experience. I would recommend the Honda Talon just check fluid levels and have service show you all the issues how to service properly, plus buy lots of air filter, it eats the up like cookies..after 400 miles a filter is probably trashed at service 600 miles definitely trashed and badly needs replacement. Tom San Diego.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tom, San Diego, Honda Talon 4S..noticed some oil lead front gear differential each side, signs of oil, checked gear box and only down about 1 oz? so not a serious leak issue so far?? I usually check all gear levels before long rides, Dealer delivered to me with no oil in Sub Transmission, lucky I did my first service at 100 miles and notice Dealer screwed up, had they checked it I would not have been told there was no sub trans oil with checked. Good news amazing, now 1,600 miles and no trans problems so far....Dealer gave me an extended warrantee after I stopped my credit card payment until problem was rectified..Glad I put it on my Credit Card. I told Honda and they said it was Dealers fault and if I had a problem it would not fall under their warrantee as it was not a manufacture default..Now wish I would not have Called Honda as they put the no oil in sub trans information on my Warrantee records. I love my Honda, but the no oil when new caused lots of stress and I had to fight for everything I got and deserved. Tough experience. I would recommend the Honda Talon just check fluid levels and have service show you all the issues how to service properly, plus buy lots of air filter, it eats the up like cookies..after 400 miles a filter is probably trashed at service 600 miles definitely trashed and badly needs replacement. Tom San Diego.
Good news, I now have 1,600 miles running great, no trans issues on my Talon, looks like a strong transmission so far. I just bought new rims and tires and spare, after a tire tore and no spare broke the rim, so I I had it to do over I would do like many do, they change out tires and rims when new. Do your research on rims and tires. I found stock deadlock rims, 6-1 offset, and used 1.5 inch spacers on rear, just got them they look great, 30x15x10 tires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had seen the posts on diff oil seal leaks. Loading up on the trailer this morning, I could smell gear oil and sure enough there was oil all over the black part. ~300 miles on it. Front left (drivers) side.
I had to have the left front diff. seal replaced on my Talon and it was new with 200 miles on it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Had my seal start to leak at 200 miles. Same as the others front drive side (left side). It was NOT dripping. Just wet. I had read your post and I have read many others on another site. To leave it alone. I checked it often. And it will seal up with more heat cycles. It was still “weaping” until between 600-650 miles. Then it stopped. And I mean completely stopped. I have 820 miles now and it is bone dry. Even cleaned it all up with break clean and did 110 mile ride the other day. Bone dry. Don’t get me wrong....any fluid coming out of a new machine is NOT acceptable. But I have read people replacing seals four times (about every 200 miles). Maybe try letting it go and see what happens? Just my .02.

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My new replacement seal weeps a little. Noticeable as a discoloration in the dust that builds. Just going to check the oil level often, and see what happens long term.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts