Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

New 1000x-4 base owner here and could not be happier toting the family around the desert in SoCal!

Question:
My 16' box trailer is just shy of 77" so I strap the suspension to lower the car enough to get it inside the gate of the trailer.

This takes some time and it got old just after a few trips.

Will an aftermarket aluminum roof shorten the overall height of the car? The stock roof has the tall rear "fin" tail and fropm what I can tell from the UTV direct site and videos sits tight on the cage.

Are there any other owners who have put on the Aluminum roof and what was your experience?

I love the look of the low profile cages but $3k + is just out of the question!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
323 Posts
I made my own because I could, no good reason since I use an open trailer. Roof sits lower and there is a slight bow in the back to form to the stock cage, so you will gain height. I have a 2 seat X but same principle applies...

Possibly remove plastic roof and see if car fits without the ratchet session.......then you will know.

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
If you only need a couple inches, you can cut the rear center riser off and bolt the roof directly to the bracket. It is kind of a hack but works well and lowers the roof until you can get something else.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Would bending the roof down buckle or tear it you think?
I cut the center plastic from the roof, then I made a spacer so the center is at the same height as the outside edges. That made it level all the way across the back and did not cause any deformation of the top. I don't know if that would be enough to get the clearance you need, but I personally like the way it looks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you only need a couple inches, you can cut the rear center riser off and bolt the roof directly to the bracket. It is kind of a hack but works well and lowers the roof until you can get something else.
I did this and it lowered the hi-point by almost 1 3/4" It only took 10 minutes with my DeWalt Oscillating tool, a longer bolt, plastic spacer, rubber washer and a nut. Hopefully this will help it fit in the Toy Hauler better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I cut the center plastic from the roof, then I made a spacer so the center is at the same height as the outside edges. That made it level all the way across the back and did not cause any deformation of the top. I don't know if that would be enough to get the clearance you need, but I personally like the way it looks.
Hi, would you have any pictures to share? I’m thinking doing it also

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thank you for sharing and the quick reply :)
So did you cut a entire line before the air vents or did you leverage the air vent lines? Its just that the bump in the middle is pretty big? View attachment 3742
View attachment 3741
So did you cut a entire line before the air vents or did you leverage the air vent lines? Its just that the bump in the middle is pretty big?
So did you cut a entire line before the air vents or did you leverage the air vent lines? Its just that the bump in the middle is pretty big? View attachment 3742
View attachment 3741
The vents are still there, I just cut the plastic step off flush.
Tire Wheel Sky Motor vehicle Water

1 - 13 of 13 Posts