Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get feedback from anyone with experience with an AJK Off-road bed extender for the Talon. I’ve tried the search function without results. Has anyone bought, installed and us3d one? The dirt road fab one lo9js and sounds great, but I can’t wait 16 weeks which is their lead time now. Plus I’m retired and that’s a large nut to swing for me. Thanks in advance.

Mike

· Registered
2019 Honda 1000R
51 Posts
I would wait and save my money for the Dirt Road Fab one. They are hands down the very best and also provide you with more room than any of the others I have seen. I had two others before the Dirt Road one and they were junk compared to Dirt Road.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would wait and save my money for the Dirt Road Fab one. They are hands down the very best and also provide you with more room than any of the others I have seen. I had two others before the Dirt Road one and they were junk compared to Dirt Road.
Thank you. I really wanted the drf one, but due to a planned trip in 6 weeks thought to settle. I’ll wait though since everyone raves about it and it increases storage by 10 inches.

· Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X
32 Posts
I have the AJK swinging tailgate on our 2020 1000x and really like it so far. The only potential issue is that it doesn't swing all the way open, it hangs up on the plastic above the right tail light. I have no issue with that but some may. the tailgate is very well built and very stout. We bought this machine with the spare tire holder already installed and we added the AJK Packout tray. The only way to get the Packouts out of the machine is backward. It had a basic SuperATV tailgate that was fixed and we couldn't access the storage. We haven't had it out on the trail yet but it's night and solid and I can't imagine it having any issues. Hope this helps!

I would like to get feedback from anyone with experience with an AJK Off-road bed extender for the Talon. I’ve tried the search function without results. Has anyone bought, installed and us3d one? The dirt road fab one lo9js and sounds great, but I can’t wait 16 weeks which is their lead time now. Plus I’m retired and that’s a large nut to swing for me. Thanks in advance.

Mike

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the AJK swinging tailgate on our 2020 1000x and really like it so far. The only potential issue is that it doesn't swing all the way open, it hangs up on the plastic above the right tail light. I have no issue with that but some may. the tailgate is very well built and very stout. We bought this machine with the spare tire holder already installed and we added the AJK Packout tray. The only way to get the Packouts out of the machine is backward. It had a basic SuperATV tailgate that was fixed and we couldn't access the storage. We haven't had it out on the trail yet but it's night and solid and I can't imagine it having any issues. Hope this helps!

Great, thank you. Still considering my options. I do like the extra 10” the DRF one provides, but at a steep cost.

· Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X
32 Posts
You're welcome, I looked at that one as well but we just don't need that extra storage back there so we landed on the very simple AJK model instead. Saved a couple hundred bucks, got it much faster and saved a bit of weight as well.

Great, thank you. Still considering my options. I do like the extra 10” the DRF one provides, but at a steep cost.

· Registered
2021 1000 X
58 Posts
I've been very pleased with Horizon Offroads version. It's sturdy enough to mount and support my spare tire and 2 gallon spare gas and also works with AJK 1.5 milwaukee packout mount. When bought, it was less $ than DRF version but last I saw its now @ $100 more than DRF and is listed as "sold out" on their website.
AJK's version appears to have only a single hinge point???
Also, from when I was shopping, I recall an Amazon search that produced one designed by or for a Toyota that claimed to fit a talon.
But, I'd get on DRF waitlist if I were shopping today.

· Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X
32 Posts
Yes, single hinge point but when closed it's quite solid. When open I don't plan to hang from it so I think we'll be ok. I'm really happy with the look of it, finishes off the back of the Talon well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts