Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checked my airbox after a long dusty desert ride this weekend, and there was some very fine dust in the intake and evidence of a small leak along the bottom left side of the lid, just before where it makes the downward curve. (This lid is the dumbest way to design an airbox, that I can imagine!) I had greased the o-rings up pretty good, and I think the grease itself caught the worst of it. The lid has never popped right into place easily, and I think it is just a slight misfit between the lid and the airbox. Still on warranty, so I am going to ask for a new lid and see how that fits and if that isn't satisfactory, then a whole new airbox with a lid that fits properly. The dust was minimal and very fine so I think no damage was done, but I will do a compression check to see if there is any ring/valve damage. Also, the oil seems unusually dirty for the amount of time it has been in there (~500 miles), so I will change it and inspect the oil filters carefully, before my next ride.

Otherwise, I have to say that I am surprisingly very impressed with the stock air filter and the lower airbox. After 300 miles the filter was dirty but still rideable, and there was literally a couple tablespoons of course sand caught in the bottom of the box, but the top side of the filter was in perfect clean, like new condition. With this service, I did also install a UNI UP-6300AST Pod prefilter on the intake, but I consider this to be only temporary. The huge disadvantage of it is that you have to disassemble the whole airbox to check the condition of the prefilter. And, the dirt is collecting on the inside of the filter and the filter is a dark gray color, so dirt will be hard to see. I will eventually go with another system that has the prefilter on the outside of the intake, where it can be inspected and changed easily.

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For the intake, I ordered the BVC setup with the K&N filter with Outerwears. Frankly, I would never trust a K&N as my only filter, but this is just a pre-filter and I want great air flow and ease of service. I can easily swap Outerwears out on the trail if things get bad, Of course, this does nothing to solve my airbox lid problem, which is another issue entirely.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.