Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Honda Talon 1000x and the air filter gets dirty faster than any other wheeler I have owned. Is there any one out there that has a solution for a pre-filter two add on before the stock one.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X 4 Live Valve
60 Posts
I have a Honda Talon 1000x and the air filter gets dirty faster than any other wheeler I have owned. Is there any one out there that has a solution for a pre-filter two add on before the stock one.
Check out KWT Particle Separator on line at:

www.kwtfilters.com

I have one, and it is excellent. Your factory filter will last 3 to 5 times longer and the filtration is up to 98% efficiency. Check them out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
do a search. There are several threads with ideas guys have used from partical filters to K&N Type pre filters to cleanable in air box filters. Different stroke for different folks LOL

·
Registered
2019 Honda Talon 1000R
5 Posts
I added one of these yesterday, put 25 mile on today, didn't see any issues. Also, there is a push pin just above the filter, I drilled a hole and re-used the plastic cap to "cover" the top for any water spray. Not too hard to figure out, sorry no pics all back together. 1592771619088292811197637406863.jpg
1592771619088292811197637406863.jpg

·
Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X 4 Live Valve
60 Posts
I added one of these yesterday, put 25 mile on today, didn't see any issues. Also, there is a push pin just above the filter, I drilled a hole and re-used the plastic cap to "cover" the top for any water spray. Not too hard to figure out, sorry no pics all back together. View attachment 1054 View attachment 1054
Check this out. It’ll solve your problem that almost all of us Talon owners are plagued with !! Absolutely love mine. https://www.kwtfilters.com/

·
Registered
7 Posts
S&B particle separator is a Awesome Fit kit. You do not need the whole wiring accessories kit from Honda if you know how to do wiring or if you have already put a winch in

·
Registered
2019 Honda Talon 1000R
5 Posts
1 year warranty. Honda engineered it, one thing to change a filter at specific intervals, totally different if the manufacturer purposely built it knowing you need a $450 particle separator to keep it clean! Just like the trailing arms being too short and causing harsh slow speed riding. Too many folks having to change shocks and springs to gain a more comfortable ride. They should fix these issues, for $20,000 the average weekend rider should be comfortable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You know that the RZR is plagued with just as many if not more issues and they suggest running a particle separator also. Yes Honda engineered the kit to make it go to the airbox. However the S&B particle separator has been around for other machines for a while . I agree it would be nice to not have to replace a $50 air filter because it gets dirty so fast. However if you play in the desert in anything even a Jeep you'll eventually have to clean your air filter more often. Just my two cents on the subject.

·
Registered
34 Posts
1 year warranty. Honda engineered it, one thing to change a filter at specific intervals, totally different if the manufacturer purposely built it knowing you need a $450 particle separator to keep it clean! Just like the trailing arms being too short and causing harsh slow speed riding. Too many folks having to change shocks and springs to gain a more comfortable ride. They should fix these issues, for $20,000 the average weekend rider should be comfortable.

The shorter trailing arms do not lead to slow speed harshness. That is not exactly true there. The shorter trailing arms do cause the car to not go quite as fast in the whoops. The speed going through the whoops is based more on suspension geometry. But in order to have a car that goes fast through the whoops you do give up things in other areas. What makes the Honda be harsher in rocks and rough trails is springs and valving. Suspension geometry based to go fast in the whoops and shocks with different springs and valving are two completely different things. If you change the springs and valving on your talon it can ride like a plush machine. Most brands suspension straight from the factory is set up for a wide range of riders and to meet manufacturers regulations. Most machines need to be resprung and revalved to each individual's riding style and what they decide to carry along with them. The Honda Talons suspension handles extremely well, which is different than how fast it goes through the whoops. It also climbs like a billy goat which is a suspension geometry different than going through whoops. Just want to keep from the confusion of thinking that the Honda Talon has a terrible suspension geometry. It is not the best suspension geometry for whoops.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Talon 1000R
5 Posts
All the links make up the suspension. It's why Honda touted the 3plus link, and they are the folks that claim on their website it's is a smooth ride. I do not see that in real world review however, 1st machine I have ever had to respring any shock. Maybe I got spoiled with Elka stage 5s that Arctic cat puts on their machines but I understand that even the jri's did well on them. I'm simply saying I see tons of forum for both talon models that folks have to dump money into suspension for a machine that Honda took a long time engineering. If you're a racer I can certainly understand dumping cash into suspension. That's all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I get it and understand your wishes. And man did they take a long time to engineer this thing. So here is my take on that.....Everything cost and everything has to be considered when trying to hit a price point. Honda has the only DCT on the market and I do believe that system is unmatched and will prove that as miles get put on them. That system is tons more expensive to have in a SXS than belt drive that has been around since the beginning (and lets be honest there isn't enough room to go into its short comings) but it is lots less $$ to produce because "we the customer" just keep putting new belts in. When I hear people (Shock Therapy being one of them) say bring 2 or 3 extra belts on hard riding sand dune weekend at $$ a pop that is just unacceptable to me to spend that kind of money on a machine and then have that kind of money in spare parts that doesn't fix the problem, still a rubber band back there. And then spend money on a clutch tune to run bigger tires and higher horsepower and still a belt back there. So I believe they had to lower cost somewhere, not that the Fox shock is cheap but it does lack. The other thing is they have to meet industry regulations and that can be tough. I can't remember what the test is called but the car has to be able to go like 25mph on dry pavement and instantly turn all the way one direction without rolling over. So for a 64" car (the X) or 68" car (the R) that can be a tough. The springs have to be unforgiving to do that on there setup (there are other things that go into that but that is the idea). Obviously the wider the car is, 72" wide, the easier it is to reach that with softer springs. Or if you have a super high end shock with tons of adjustment then you can have the factory settings super stiff for test proposes and let the customer soften it up when he gets it. Is the Honda perfect....NO. But most would admit that there is nothing quit like banging through gears and hitting rev-limiters on a trail rig! At least the suspension is a one time fix and you can have it dialed in to your exact liking. I have a YXZ also and that geometry is worse for whoops than the Honda, but it has the Fox X2 shocks on it and rides like a freaking pillow...to soft for me but it is unbelievably plush. But that is all shock not geometry. Hope that makes sense is not the gospel but the basic idea....

So with the air filter I have put close to 1000 miles on my stock filter on Tennessee trails with no problem yet. There are other places that have more dust but the rides have been dusty at times. Honda claims people are changing there air filter to much on the look of it and not weather it has stopped flowing (not that you want to go till it stops flowing). The stock filter is a high end filter and can be pretty plugged (has tons of surface area) before a drop in performance happens. In my experience dirt is not going to get through it even if it gets plugged, it will drop performance and fuel economy though. I really like the KWT particle separator because no power connection is needed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts