Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put 30” tires with matched size all the way around on my X LV. The System 3 SB-4 wheels are available in the 6-1 which is the factory offset on the front which I need to maintain to fit in my toy hauler. What are people doing between 14” and 15”? Stock is 15” but I would assume softer sidewalls on the 14”. I am doing the Shock Therapy springs and shock update to smooth it out so might not need softer sidewalks. Thoughts?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I want to put 30” tires with matched size all the way around on my X LV. The System 3 SB-4 wheels are available in the 6-1 which is the factory offset on the front which I need to maintain to fit in my toy hauler. What are people doing between 14” and 15”? Stock is 15” but I would assume softer sidewalls on the 14”. I am doing the Shock Therapy springs and shock update to smooth it out so might not need softer sidewalks. Thoughts?
I installed System 3 bead locks with Elka shocks, 6-1 front and 4-3 rears in 15 inch with no spacer needed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I installed System 3 bead locks with Elka shocks, 6-1 front and 4-3 rears in 15 inch with no spacer needed.
Did you choose 15" because that was the stock size, or for some other reasons? By going with 6+1 and a spacer in the rear I can have a single spare tire. Riding Arizona desert, rocky terrain I want to have a spare always with me.

·
Registered
99 Posts

Still working on it. This set Method 401 BeadLocks 15" 5 + 2 with 1.5" spacer on the rear. Have another set or Method 401 BeadLocks ( Black ) that are 15" 5 + 1 with Maxxis Ceros on them and then a set of Method 401 Bead Locks ( RAW ) 15" 6 + 1 with Maxxis SC1 as our race wheel. All run the 1.5" spacer so the wheel is the same on all 4 corners. All tires are 27" on 15" wheels for less side roll. Hope this helps in your decision.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
View attachment 1755

Still working on it. This set Method 401 BeadLocks 15" 5 + 2 with 1.5" spacer on the rear. Have another set or Method 401 BeadLocks ( Black ) that are 15" 5 + 1 with Maxxis Ceros on them and then a set of Method 401 Bead Locks ( RAW ) 15" 6 + 1 with Maxxis SC1 as our race wheel. All run the 1.5" spacer so the wheel is the same on all 4 corners. All tires are 27" on 15" wheels for less side roll. Hope this helps in your decision.
Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did you choose 15" because that was the stock size, or for some other reasons? By going with 6+1 and a spacer in the rear I can have a single spare tire. Riding Arizona desert, rocky terrain I want to have a spare always with me.
I chose 15 because it came with 15,,OEM,,, I think they look better,,,and at the time of purchase the 14 was not available.

·
Registered
99 Posts
@PaulF has a set of Shock Therapy Springs for sale

·
Registered
166 Posts
@PaulF has a set of Shock Therapy Springs for sale
PaulF has an R though. On the X you can go to a 14-in rim without any real trouble. The 14-in rim on an R can hit a little nub on the front arm and the rim does not have much clearance for a rock getting stuck between those two points and busting the rim. Even on the X that is the reason I stuck with 15" rims. I wanted as much clearance for debris getting wedged in between the rim and other parts. I really liked the ride of my X on 30s. I have 32's now and overall like them better but there are definitely things about the 30s that I loved. Mainly around quickness difference...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PaulF has an R though. On the X you can go to a 14-in rim without any real trouble. The 14-in rim on an R can hit a little nub on the front arm and the rim does not have much clearance for a rock getting stuck between those two points and busting the rim. Even on the X that is the reason I stuck with 15" rims. I wanted as much clearance for debris getting wedged in between the rim and other parts. I really liked the ride of my X on 30s. I have 32's now and overall like them better but there are definitely things about the 30s that I loved. Mainly around quickness difference...
This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for, thank you! Great info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2020 X 2 seater and a 2021 X LV 2 seater. I stayed with 15" wheels. Going with a taller tire you are already adding sidewall height. I went with 30" Tensor tires, they perform well but are a little heavy and stiff. Kinda wish I would have went with the new BFG's. I didn't like any of the aftermarket 6-1 wheel options so I went with stock Honda front wheels all the way around with 1 1/2" spacers in the back to maintain factory widths. I just got my shocks back from Shock Therapy (springs & revalve), night and day difference. Put about 100 miles on it so far and it is super plush, you won't be disappointed and won't need to worry about having extra side wall on your tires. I will say that it does seem to nose dive slightly more on jumps and leans a little more in the turns. Not excessively but noticeable. The ride improvement far exceeds any side affects. As soon as they come out with a stiffer rear sway bar I will be adding that to keep it level in the turns. A couple of weeks ago I inquired about getting springs & valving done on the LV but at that time they were still testing and it was not available. If it is available now, I will definitely be sending the LV shocks in. For me there was a noticeable loss in power/acceleration with the 30" tires. Not sure if its a weight issue or gearing issue. I did also add quite a few accessories so that likely didn't help. Lets put it this way, I was very content with the power of the machine with stock wheels & tires, with my current setup I am wishing for a little more.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a 2020 X 2 seater and a 2021 X LV 2 seater. I stayed with 15" wheels. Going with a taller tire you are already adding sidewall height. I went with 30" Tensor tires, they perform well but are a little heavy and stiff. Kinda wish I would have went with the new BFG's. I didn't like any of the aftermarket 6-1 wheel options so I went with stock Honda front wheels all the way around with 1 1/2" spacers in the back to maintain factory widths. I just got my shocks back from Shock Therapy (springs & revalve), night and day difference. Put about 100 miles on it so far and it is super plush, you won't be disappointed and won't need to worry about having extra side wall on your tires. I will say that it does seem to nose dive slightly more on jumps and leans a little more in the turns. Not excessively but noticeable. The ride improvement far exceeds any side affects. As soon as they come out with a stiffer rear sway bar I will be adding that to keep it level in the turns. A couple of weeks ago I inquired about getting springs & valving done on the LV but at that time they were still testing and it was not available. If it is available now, I will definitely be sending the LV shocks in. For me there was a noticeable loss in power/acceleration with the 30" tires. Not sure if its a weight issue or gearing issue. I did also add quite a few accessories so that likely didn't help. Lets put it this way, I was very content with the power of the machine with stock wheels & tires, with my current setup I am wishing for a little more.

View attachment 1772
View attachment 1773
George White at Double EE Racing has what you are looking for. Double E Racing • Double E Racing
Testing completed on the Live Valve shock set ups for short course, Trails, Rocks, East and West Coast riding.
He also makes a great sway bar set up.
Tuning for Tire size and shift points contact Kori at PPEI PPEI Custom Tuning – Redefining The Limits™
Hope this helps. All great guys to work with.
Set ups look AWESOME

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got a rock inside my rim with stock 15" rims on 32" tires, punched a hole through the rim leading to a flat tire. So do 15's allow more room for rocks, who knows? I've since gone to 5-2 offset 15" wheels, time will tell how they do in the Arizona desert.

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 1755

Interested in what type of tires you have. Can you call me at 615-642-8130. Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts