Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only had my stock tires on for a short time, but I remember quickly checking the width in the rear and it was more like 63", and not the 64" claimed in the Honda sales literature. Can someone running stock tires confirm that?

Right now I am running 30X10-15", BF Goodrich KM3's, on 15X7" Method 410 rims (5+2" offset, just like the stock front rims), and 1.5" spacers in the rear. My width is now a little over 65.5" rear and a little under in the front. So far, it hasn't ever seemed tippy, so I am thinking that width is near perfect.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I thought about going to a slightly taller 30" tire and perhaps a tad bit wider, but on the few trails we have in our neck of the woods that have 64" gates, then I would not be able to squeeze through them. I wish the Forest Circus would increase the width of the trails to 70", it would be too narrow for jeeps and pickups, but allow the wider track SXS and UTVs.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The stock width on the X is 64 in. That can change by the amount of squat in the suspension. If for some reason the suspension was unsettled and was high in its riding state then then the angle of the suspension arms would be greater and decrease the width by X amount. I have seen 66-in wide machines make it through 64-in wide gates simply by lifting up on them and that will bring the wheels in to get through the gates. If you cranked down on your springs (lifting the car) or put a lift on it that did not lengthen any of the arms then you essentially would also be making your machine narrower to some degree. Hope that makes sense! :)

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the Live Valve, and when you turn on the key, the suspension "stands up". That might account for some of what I was seeing.

The gates around here are 50" (ATV and Pioneer 500 width), so not going through any of those. Actually, we saw beautiful dirt bike single track, turned into ATV trails back in the 90's (there were a few altercations out there on the trail!). Now, the ATV trails are getting turned into roads by the UTV's.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have the Live Valve, and when you turn on the key, the suspension "stands up". That might account for some of what I was seeing.

The gates around here are 50" (ATV and Pioneer 500 width), so not going through any of those. Actually, we saw beautiful dirt bike single track, turned into ATV trails back in the 90's (there were a few altercations out there on the trail!). Now, the ATV trails are getting turned into roads by the UTV's.
As much as I love the side by side world I hate that they are making them bigger and bigger, basically turning them into a Jeeps. I off-roaded Jeeps for years and always was wanting something smaller and more agile. It also makes me sad because the bigger vehicles tear up the trails and the beauty of the nature out there. It ends up making the locals really not like us in the end. I always leave the trails with everything I entered them with!

·
Registered
142 Posts
When our '21 TalonX-4 is at rest, the rear track (stock tires) is closer to 65.5 inches wide, but perhaps it narrows up when going down the road. I tried to get the wife to run along at the back and measure it while we were moving but for some reason she declines!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts