Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I know you should wait until the engine is broke in to use synthetic. I definitely want to use synthetic for the advantages we all know. My question is, at 100 miles, do we consider the engine broke in? Or wait to go synthetic? Would like to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
2021 1000 X
45 Posts
Good question. Fully broken-in at 100 miles? Nah. Probably do better to wait till 2nd service if that's a concern for your own peace of mind.

I switched to Amsoil products at first service with nary a problem and never looked back. Yeah, it's synthetic but doesn't void your warranty. I'm unaware of anything in the owners manual or from Honda advising not to use synthetic.

I look at it this way...
Synthetic = better lubrication = less wear =
better.

No expert here - just a shade tree mechanic with 40+ years of servicing my own equipment.

Guys, let me know if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I see no disadvantage to synthetic at 100 miles. Initial metal wear has occurred. Engine has already turned a million revolutions.

Rotella T6 for me - just wish it was cheap again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
72 Posts
I see no disadvantage to synthetic at 100 miles. Initial metal wear has occurred. Engine has already turned a million revolutions.

Rotella T6 for me - just wish it was cheap again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I had the dealer do the first service when I had the Jackson turbo installed at about a hundred miles on my 2021 ( trying to cover my backside and covering the turbo on the Honda warranty). I am sure they used Coventional oil. I know ring seat should be fully set after a hundred miles, but I think most conventional oils are pretty good these days. I will switch to synthetic when I actually do the next service though. I am going to try Honda's HP4S and see what I think.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Its personal preference, nothing else. Pretty much all of the above is great stuff.

The Honda oil is a synthetic blend and is a very good product. I know for a fact it is what Team Honda used to pretty much win every Baja race since about 1998. Nothing against the other products mentioned, they are all good too.

Synthetic's main advantage is that it does not break down as quickly.

My first "ride" was 550 miles, so that is when my first service occurred. The oils removed looked like brand new. Would not be a real crime if you waited a little longer to do your first service if worried about switching to full synthetic.

Really, it is just personal preference.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Other negative is price. If you are going to change your oil every 1200 miles or so, full synthetic is really not necessary. There will be just as much contamination at oil change regardless of type of oil used (oil makes no difference in this regard). All modern oils will do a fine job of lubricating a motor, especially one that will likely never even see 20,000 miles. The real difference is how long before the oil starts to break down, and it is unlikely any modern oil will start to break down by the 1200 mile mark.

An option is to have the used conventional or conventional/synthetic blend tested at 1200 miles to see if there is actually an issue (something that would justify full synthetic), then you will know for sure if the added price is worth it.

Again, it is personal preference, and if someone just wants to run synthetic, great.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'll most likely switch to T6 on my second oil service. Been running it is sport bikes on track for years.

Love these "which oil" and "which tire"..and for the bike side of things "which chain lube" threads. They can get...interesting.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I’d go for second change. That way a sludge base has been established in the motor. The molecular structure of petroleum base oil is not as uniform as synthetic. The sheer from the petroleum base oil will leave a base from the molecule break down and fill the smallest of voids. It’s a good thing. After that full synthetic for me. Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I waited until 125 miles and changed all fluids to Amsoil full synthetic. Might be just me, but it seems to shift a little smoother. Thanks all for your input.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts