Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was our big test weekend. I have driven every side by side on the market over the last two years. We've been on many runs with many makes and models. I have a lot of experience with multiple machines. Now bear in mind this is my first run with the Honda Talent In the Dunn's. As an overall 8 day test, I'm was very surprised at how great it did in the sand with no paddles. I was able to go anywhere the paddle cars went, I went everywhere the big sand buggies went, Quads and 2 wheelers. This thing was able to do everything I threw at it. It went up faces that other sxs could not. I never felt underpowered (I am not turbo), never felt too heavy, at no point did I feel like I was going to roll it (don't get me wrong I got close a few times just seeing how hard I could push it) My wife had a few OMG moments, but in the end, she felt very safe in it. By the way, everyone told me I would have to turbo it, after this week I see no need to. it has all the power you need to dune any dune you want to go. Stay tuned for more video this is only one of my from my week in Glamis

·
Registered
15 Posts
This was our big test weekend. I have driven every side by side on the market over the last two years. We've been on many runs with many makes and models. I have a lot of experience with multiple machines. Now bear in mind this is my first run with the Honda Talent In the Dunn's. As an overall 8 day test, I'm was very surprised at how great it did in the sand with no paddles. I was able to go anywhere the paddle cars went, I went everywhere the big sand buggies went, Quads and 2 wheelers. This thing was able to do everything I threw at it. It went up faces that other sxs could not. I never felt underpowered (I am not turbo), never felt too heavy, at no point did I feel like I was going to roll it (don't get me wrong I got close a few times just seeing how hard I could push it) My wife had a few OMG moments, but in the end, she felt very safe in it. By the way, everyone told me I would have to turbo it, after this week I see no need to. it has all the power you need to dune any dune you want to go. Stay tuned for more video this is only one of my from my week in Glamis
I replied to your other post before I seen this one about the turbo. Haven’t been to the dunes near me yet, due to the supposed lack of power.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X 4 Live Valve
119 Posts
Sounds good. Were you running stock tires and wheels?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replied to your other post before I seen this one about the turbo. Haven’t been to the dunes near me yet, due to the supposed lack of power.
before I drove it I was planing on buy one, after 8 days in the dunes, it has of power,
the belt guys have to have Turbos or they cant make it up the big dunes the honda with gears is a game-changer
and a non-turbo Honda won the Baja 1000 overall the turbo cars (they did end up getting a penalty and ended up in 2nd but still crossed the line first says a lot)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How fast was it up China Wall?
I guess on my next trip, I have to pay attention to my speedometer.... SORRY REALLY NOT GOING TO DO THAT.

I do know this, the Polaris XP 1000 turbo led us up the hill, Next in Line was the Yamaha YXR 1000.
I started in the back and I passed both of them by the time I was at about 3/4 the way up the hill.

Now keep in mind, I'm not a kid and I am not a racer type.
I don't need the faster SXS out there, I need the most functional and reliable.
I only do a few trips like this a year, most of the time I am a point A to point B type, see I am a true Outdoorsmen. Meaning I go real remote and I live off the land. (I haven't bought meat from a store in 21 years)

with that said ya I was stocked passing them on the way up, but if I did not I would not have cared either

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I would have to see the proof of your nonturbo Talon passing the turbo
all day long, on every big hill we went up the 4 seaters Talon passed the 4 seater Polaris turbo.

even by the end of the trip, they were saying, they would hate to see how bad we would have blown them away if we're turbo as well.

Need proof? real simple next time you go out look for a Talon and ask them to race up a sand dune. Like olds.

The Polaris had about 10 to 15 feet on us at the start, then we were the same speed at 25% up the hill, at halfway we started catching up. buy 3/4 of the way up the hill we were passing at the top we had them by 30 to 40 feet.

I can see your skepticism, but nothing fixes that faster than asking someone to race with some cash on the line.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Oh, I agree. I have a ‘19 and want to turbo it, but won’t pay Jackson’s turbo price for the gain it gives. For that amount of money, I expect over 200 hp at the rear wheels

·
Registered
52 Posts
Great video. Thank You for sharing

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
37 Posts
Wow, surprised your KM3's did so well in sand. I just started running them as an "all-around" tire choice (30X10-15 on Method 410 Rims), but I have been disappointed in their sand performance, even aired down. Everywhere else (hardpack, rocky trails, rock crawling, etc.), I can't imagine a better tire! Those closely spaced treads, just can't get a bite in the sand. (I can't comment about mud, but it is probably false advertising to call this a "Mud-Terrain" tire.)

Headed out to Rasor Road this weekend, which has a nice set of dunes, to finally test them out. If I don't like them in the sand, I will save the KM3's for summer riding in the mountains, and perhaps run Terra Masters (side A out) in sandy desert locations.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow, surprised your KM3's did so well in sand. I just started running them as an "all-around" tire choice (30X10-15 on Method 410 Rims), but I have been disappointed in their sand performance, even aired down. Everywhere else (hardpack, rocky trails, rock crawling, etc.), I can't imagine a better tire! Those closely spaced treads, just can't get a bite in the sand. (I can't comment about mud, but it is probably false advertising to call this a "Mud-Terrain" tire.)
what did you air down to?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts