Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The air intake tubes coming down from the airbox into the throttle body separated, and the engine sucked dirty, unfiltered air. Two of the screws on the bands that are supposed to hold them in place, were completely missing and another one was backed out and loose. (This was NOT the bands on the funnels up inside the airbox, that are the subject of a recall.) I have seen stories around the internet, where this happened to others, so this is not an isolated occurrence. If the bands up inside the airbox can have the screws back out, so much more those that are on the outside and directly attached to the engine and its vibration (more on that later). I notice that on the current batch of machines coming out of the factory, that Honda has changed the design of the bands and the screws that are intended to secure them....so you know, that they know they have a problem! Fortunately the damage was all in the top end, so it got bored out 0.25mm and Honda OEM oversize pistons (made for just this), and a new valve train. The trans and bottom end of the engine were fine, hence only $6K instead of twice that cost.

The engine failed (of course) just as it came off of Honda's factory warranty, but clearly the issue would have started earlier when it was still well under warranty. Plus, I had a 5 year extended warranty, so I assumed I was ok. Well, both Honda and Aegis denied my claim. I had installed a BVC prefilter on the intake (I highly recommend it), so both of them used this to weasel out of covering the claim, stating the I had "modified the airbox". The BVC is on the dirty side of the airbox, and simply replaces Honda's stupid 'trumpet" that came on it (and has not filtration at all). Any idiot can plainly see that it has nothing to do with the bands that came loose, on the other (clean side) of the airbox.

Oh, and all this took 10 long months to resolve! Thankfully I finally found a dealership (Honda Yamaha of Redlands, CA) I trusted to do the work. They have a rebuilder that my friends had used before, and were quite happy with the results. As far as Honda and Aegis are concerned, I have absolutely nothing good to say about them at all. I once was T-boned in my truck by a guy who had a terrible insurance company, and dealing with Honda and Aegis brought back memories of that horrible experience. I guess the reps can go to their bosses and say "I screwed a customer out of his warranty", and they get a pat on the back and a promotion next year....

·
Registered
8 Posts
That really is a shame, I hate that they alway try and bone the customer first. Maybe that's why the say "The customer come first". Sorry to here, I would put the dealer on blast cause there was a lot they could have done.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's clearly not a Honda problem since this happened out of warranty and you didn't have a Honda extended warranty. As for your third party extended warranty, this is how they make money. They are banking on nobody (or very few) taking them to court when they erroneously deny a claim.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts