Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Honda Talon Fox Live Valve 1000x-4
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Talon owner here and we're looking to get 6 inch portals and some new wheels and tires. Can we put 38 tires on 20 inch wheels with the 6inch portals without any extra lift kit? Or I'm open to suggestions! 2021 Fox Live 1000x4 is what we have.

·
Super Moderator
328 Posts
New Talon owner here and we're looking to get 6 inch portals and some new wheels and tires. Can we put 38 tires on 20 inch wheels with the 6inch portals without any extra lift kit? Or I'm open to suggestions! 2021 Fox Live 1000x4 is what we have.
We rate the 6" portals teamed up with the 1.5" forward A-arms for a max tire size of a 36". That's usually a pretty conservative measurement. You can probably squeeze a 38" in there if you want, but you may run into a little rubbing at full turn and full compression. Doubtful, but possible. Wouldn't be bad though. Most 38" tires won't really measure close to 38". If you're sticking with that combo, you'll definitely want the 45% gear reduction for 38"s.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We rate the 6" portals teamed up with the 1.5" forward A-arms for a max tire size of a 36". That's usually a pretty conservative measurement. You can probably squeeze a 38" in there if you want, but you may run into a little rubbing at full turn and full compression. Doubtful, but possible. Wouldn't be bad though. Most 38" tires won't really measure close to 38". If you're sticking with that combo, you'll definitely want the 45% gear reduction for 38"s.
What if we go with a 35" or 36", would you recommend the 30% or 45%?

·
Super Moderator
328 Posts
30% would be good gearing for the 35"s if you don't plan on going any bigger. 45% for 36" and possibly bigger. The Talon doesn't really have the a great bottom end, so I'm all about the lower gearing in the Hondas. Really helps that bottom end with the bigger tires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
30% would be good gearing for the 35"s if you don't plan on going any bigger. 45% for 36" and possibly bigger. The Talon doesn't really have the a great bottom end, so I'm all about the lower gearing in the Hondas. Really helps that bottom end with the bigger tires.
Thanks for all of your help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.