Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys new member hear about to get my 1st Honda side-by-side. I have the 1000 X4 green and black and should pick it up on Tuesday. I already have a list of things that I am planning on doing to it and am going to make it street legal here in Florida.

My question is, I have searched and cannot find it but can you run 32" all terrain tires on the stock wheels?

I already in planning on doing A pro rocks Box roof the full street legal kit a snorkel It is coming with door lowers in a front and rear windshield already. But any other info would definitely help me I have read somewhere about trying to do a lockout for the I drive. Thanks in advance for the help guys looking forward to starting this project. I have had 2 Polaris ranger side by sides and 2 Kawasaki 4 wheelers

So I guess it's time to start another addiction lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just rode in a 2019 R yesterday. It had 32" tires installed on stock wheels. I did not notice the tire width or if they were all front or all rear wheels. I did notice how the engine transmission seemed to lug down some with the big heavy tires, more so than my R with stock size.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I think the Rs are set up differently than the Xs. Im not positive for sure, but I am getting the 1000x4 and it has 28s stock on it. Im hoping for like a 32 950 15?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe even a 31 1050 15? Just asking if so.eone here has done it or tried and it didnt work either way?

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
137 Posts
I had visions of saving a little money and running some aftermarket tires all the way around, on stock front rims. Stock rim width is 6.5", but most tires are designed to run on 7" rims. I am in the desert, and for flotation I need all the width I can get, so I didn't take a chance and just got new Method 410 rims, 15X7".

As far as tire size, 28" isn't enough, 32" is to much, and 30" is just right!

·
Registered
16 Posts
My neighbor has 31x10.50x15 LT Radials on his stock wheels on a 2019 X 2 seater. They measure out at around 30".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello guys new member hear about to get my 1st Honda side-by-side. I have the 1000 X4 green and black and should pick it up on Tuesday. I already have a list of things that I am planning on doing to it and am going to make it street legal here in Florida.

My question is, I have searched and cannot find it but can you run 32" all terrain tires on the stock wheels?

I already in planning on doing A pro rocks Box roof the full street legal kit a snorkel It is coming with door lowers in a front and rear windshield already. But any other info would definitely help me I have read somewhere about trying to do a lockout for the I drive. Thanks in advance for the help guys looking forward to starting this project. I have had 2 Polaris ranger side by sides and 2 Kawasaki 4 wheelers

So I guess it's time to start another addiction lol
I'm currently running 32" on my 1000x-4 Livewire, you need to have 1.5 - 2" spacers in the rear.

·
Registered
155 Posts
As posted else where on this site, there is a huge loss in power when going to 32" tires over the stock 28" tires. A Talon owner did a good test on Youtube running stock and then 32" tires on his machine. Bottom line: 0-60mph was about 9.6 seconds with stock tires. Same route, same parameters, the 32" tires drug the time down to 15.4 seconds. To me that would be an unacceptable loss of power. If I upgrade my '21 Talon X-4 I would go no larger then 30" tires. Unless of course you are considering a turbo?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Loss of speed doesn't always translate to loss of power. There are a lot more variables and physics associated with speed comparison to smaller tires than true torque and power in relation to trail riding and torque climbing over rocks and hills. Ultimately, it's up to the owner in what is acceptable. I'm not trying to win any races in my 1000x-4. That's me personally.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I started out with my machine stock on 28" tires.... I quickly went to 30-in tires because the 28s were too small. After 500 to 1,000 mi on 30-in tires I switched to 32-in tires that are pretty light. 1, 2, and 3 gear which is majority of the gears used in "trail riding", does not have that much of a power drop in the trails. There is no way I would go back to 30s after being on a good 32. The way the bigger tire rolls over rocks and obstacles is a major benefit. If I am at all needing my shift points to be at a certain spot, regardless of my tire size, I use manual at that time. To me that's one of the greatest advantages to the Talon. If I was going to the sand I would put my 30s back on or buy a smaller diameter tire for that situation. On the east side of the United States there just isn't much sand! :)

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
137 Posts
This is just like the 26" vs 27.5" vs 29" rim diameter debate in mountain biking. I prefer 26", but my big high volume fatbike tires, make me equivalent to a 29" with the usual tires.

Watching King of the Hammers last week, the Talons were running 32". I also presume they were running turbos. A few machines were running 35". Maybe next year everybody will run 35's?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies guys its either a 31 or 32 DOT tire life an all terrain or mud terrain depending on price. This is the lift i just ordered to help clear them also.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Loss of speed doesn't always translate to loss of power. There are a lot more variables and physics associated with speed comparison to smaller tires than true torque and power in relation to trail riding and torque climbing over rocks and hills. Ultimately, it's up to the owner in what is acceptable. I'm not trying to win any races in my 1000x-4. That's me personally.
The power output of the machine does not change when using larger tires, but the felt power to the ground changes. It is like taking off in a higher gear from a stop, in effect by going to a larger tire you are changing the gear ratios to a higher ratio. You may have more top speed but it will take longer to get there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1000x4 and would like to go to 30s and maybe 1” wider than stock tires. Is that doable on stock wheels?

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is just like the 26" vs 27.5" vs 29" rim diameter debate in mountain biking. I prefer 26", but my big high volume fatbike tires, make me equivalent to a 29" with the usual tires.

Watching King of the Hammers last week, the Talons were running 32". I also presume they were running turbos. A few machines were running 35". Maybe next year everybody will run 35's?

Do any of the teams given their build specs? Maybe they regear the diffs?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts