Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm im southern California and do a little hard pack trails and some soft dunes. Does anyone have advice on when to use 2wd vs 4wd. I was told dunes 2wd and trails 4wd, but this is from a bunch of rzr drivers. Lol. I have 2021 1000r live valve if that makes a difference on any suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
Used to be two wheel drive was all you needed anywhere- 'cuz that was all you had on the early 3 wheelers. I'm glad for 4 wheel drive, and use it if I get bogged down and sense I need to switch it on!

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
167 Posts
In sand, you always have something slipping, so the i4wd system "hunts" for traction (by braking the slipping wheel, which transfers power to the opposite wheel), so it kind of jerks the front end from side to side. So I say in sand, 2wd and keep it reved out! I rarely find 4wd helpful.

On trails, 2wd until it gets so bad that you need 4wd. It is nice that you can go in and out of 4wd on the fly. (With some machines you have to stop to make the switch.) I often find the SPORT transmission mode helpful when in 4wd (you can go in and out between AT and SPORT modes on the fly as well). If things are really steep or you are rock crawling, then 4wd and transmission LOW range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.