Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hazard:
The vehicle’s intake funnel band screw can loosen and enter the engine through the intake funnel and cause sudden engine failure. If this occurs, it could result in a loss of control, increasing the risk of a crash or injury.
Remedy: Repair
Recall Date: March 09, 2022
Units:About 32,000
2019Talon 1000 S21HFVE05**K40000031HFVE05**K4003902
2020Talon 1000 S21HFVE05**L41000011HFVE05**L4102280
2021Talon 1000 S21HFVE05**M42000011HFVE05**M4202760
2020Talon 1000 S41HFVE06**L40000021HFVE06**L4003420
2021Talon 1000 S41HFVE06**M41000011HFVE06**M4102218

·
Registered
39 Posts
I opened up my air box this weekend on my 2021 X2 and found both screws to be loose. A simple fix is to put nylock nuts on the end of the screws. Problem solved.

Rumor has it Honda's fix was to damage the end of the screw to prevent it from coming completely out preventing it from going into the engine. What happens if you need to remove the screw? Damaged clamps! Not a good fix in my mind. That's why I did it myself.

Rand

·
Registered
104 Posts
I checked mine at 2950 miles. Both bolts (screws) were loose by about 4 turns, but somehow did not back all the way out! I tightened them back up and added silicone RTV to the threads so they couldn't back out again--the RTV is also black so it is a little hard to see in the second photo.

Am really curious what Honda does to fix the issue as the best course would be bands/screws that are manufactured correctly. Anyone had theirs done and know if they just bang up the threads, add a second nut, RTV, or have revised parts available?

New OEM bands cost a whopping $2.50 each on Rocky Mountain M/C. They do not, however, show an updated P/N.

In any event, this is a pretty serious issue. Everyone should take the moment to check these screws before they start their Talons up again. Just turn the two latches on the air cleaner cover 90 degrees (front part of the bed), remove the cover, and put a Phillips screwdriver on the two screws holding the intake funnels on to make sure they are tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked mine at 2950 miles. Both bolts (screws) were loose by about 4 turns, but somehow did not back all the way out! I tightened them back up and added silicone RTV to the threads so they couldn't back out again--the RTV is also black so it is a little hard to see in the second photo.

Am really curious what Honda does to fix the issue as the best course would be bands/screws that are manufactured correctly. Anyone had theirs done and know if they just bang up the threads, add a second nut, RTV, or have revised parts available?

New OEM bands cost a whopping $2.50 each on Rocky Mountain M/C. They do not, however, show an updated P/N.

In any event, this is a pretty serious issue. Everyone should take the moment to check these screws before they start their Talons up again. Just turn the two latches on the air cleaner cover 90 degrees (front part of the bed), remove the cover, and put a Phillips screwdriver on the two screws holding the intake funnels on to make sure they are tight.
I’m surprised there’s that much hardware in there. I think for me the least amount of anything the better.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m probably going to opt to booger up the threads as all or most of the clamps I’ve seen like this are like that anyway since there’s no need for the screw to remove completely. Usually you loosen it up enough and pull the horns off then fold the rubber a bit to get the clamps off.
I may take the bands off and stick the very ends of the bolts in my vise and give them a little squeeze.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The odd thing is, my VIN is not listed, I did receive the Recall notification, called my dealer, he said if it isn't listed to not worry about.....I had already checked them, at 3500 miles they weren't loose, but the threads were not messed up either. I used blue locktite, adjusted to ten millimeters, and crushed the threads. Good to go

·
Registered
2021 1000x 4 Live Valve
70 Posts
Mine were backed WAY off. Put blue thread locker and tightened up. Called local shop, he said 10 minutes, just drop in, which will happen tomorrow.
Also, when installing my KWT prefilter, the clamp where the original intake mounts up was VERY loose as well.

·
Registered
2021 1000x 4 Live Valve
70 Posts
Ok, went to the shop today. The tech measured mine, and saw where I had tightened them. He adjusted 1, then with vise grips, buggered up the threads on both. He said that is the factory fix.
I'm thinking that at some point, there is going to be some pissed off mechanics.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well, since you fine fellas have shared your experience, pics, and a very nice video.... I'll handle this recall tonight on my own. Perhaps, loctite, nylock, buggered threads, and JB weld...because I'm a red-neck at heart. LOL

Thanks for sharing gentlemen.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts