Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I have a 21 talon x,I hooked my winch up the other day. After I finished and hooked up the battery my i4wd light is on solid, clutch temp light flashing, and the dash just has a dash mark flashing a 3-2 pattern. When I put in gear it dies instantly, will start and run in neutral, and park. I wired it with battery unhooked, and to the factory supplied wires, no wires were arched. The new winch never worked. It did pop an accessory fuse somehow. Is it possible the winch had a short in it that could have arched back through the system and caused this problem ? I've called several dealers for ideas on what is going on but having no luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi guys! I have a 21 talon x,I hooked my winch up the other day. After I finished and hooked up the battery my i4wd light is on solid, clutch temp light flashing, and the dash just has a dash mark flashing a 3-2 pattern. When I put in gear it dies instantly, will start and run in neutral, and park. I wired it with battery unhooked, and to the factory supplied wires, no wires were arched. The new winch never worked. It did pop an accessory fuse somehow. Is it possible the winch had a short in it that could have arched back through the system and caused this problem ? I've called several dealers for ideas on what is going on but having no luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Talon XXX, just joined. Been lurking on the site for over a year now. Not much for posting on forums but saw this post and had to chime in. I have the 2020 X 4 LV. Two weeks ago battery died still don’t know why. Tried charging would not take a charge. Replaced battery(batteries plus had one in stock). Started engine and same thing flashing I4 and clutch temperature light. From what I gathered from this forum The ECU needed to be reset. Called the service writer at my purchasing dealer and was told would have to leave it for two weeks. Called the service manager and ask what was involved and was told they would have to plug it in to the laptop to reset. Five minutes. Call to other local dealers and was told the same thing.I am an electrician by trade so I got out the trustee 12 V test light and begin checking fuses. Looking at the fuse box there are 2 30 amp fuses to the left side. The right side fuse was blown. Replace it and now the engine would stay running when I put it in gear. Moral of the story is I don’t believe Honda mechanics or service writers have any more knowledge about these machines than we do. I now have a service manual that should be here today

·
Registered
25 Posts
Got it from a link on this site. Helm. $77 with taxes and shipping. It is the factory Honda manual.

·
Registered
25 Posts
OK, replaced the fuse a couple of weeks ago started it and ran fine. Rode all Fourth of July weekend. Got home. Washed it. Went to pull out of the driveway and put it in gear and it died. Starts right up and purrs. Spent all day with my new factory service manual and did all the troubleshooting. Everything checks out fine. MIL code flashing is 30 Dash two. Factory manual has no 30 Dash two code. Says must go back to dealership to connect to there diagnostic. Does anyone know what the 30-2 dtc is

·
Registered
25 Posts
Love the talon. No problems until now. Was really looking forward to Honda quality. Usually don’t buy first year of anything so I waited for a second year model. Really let down with the dealership. I would think they would have brought their techs up to speed on these machines. I have purchased the factory service manual and spent all day doing troubleshooting and I’ve gotten nowhere. Everything checks out perfect. I have a DTC code of 30 Dash two. Manual does not have a 30–2 code Does anybody have any information on a 30 Dash two code

·
Registered
248 Posts
Love the talon. No problems until now. Was really looking forward to Honda quality. Usually don’t buy first year of anything so I waited for a second year model. Really let down with the dealership. I would think they would have brought their techs up to speed on these machines. I have purchased the factory service manual and spent all day doing troubleshooting and I’ve gotten nowhere. Everything checks out perfect. I have a DTC code of 30 Dash two. Manual does not have a 30–2 code Does anybody have any information on a 30 Dash two code
First off, are you reading PGM, DCT or EPS codes? They are all different. There may also be access to the LV codes but I do not have an LV manual.

Is the MIL/DCT/EPS light pattern 3 long flashes and 2 short flashes? If so, that is not 30-2, it is 32-?. The MIL flashing only tells the primary number, to see the sub number, you need the Honda MCS.

There are two 32-? codes. One applies to the DCT. It is 32-1...

The other (32-01) applies to the EPS...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sandbaja,Thanks. I really like it. Creativeutvgraphics.com. The stock Talon graphics were coming off the passenger side. $300. Some light scratches on the rear fenders. $300 each. Live valve graphics I think were like $80 each. Got tired of looking at the all black hood. So far easy to keep clean

·
Registered
25 Posts
PaulF, thanks for the clarification on reading the code. I went back and looked at my manual and see where it makes sense now. Found one of the problems this morning. The 30 amp CONT fuse that had blown twice had power at the fuse block but was dead at the PCM. Ran a new wire from fuse block to PCM. Turned key a it fired up, all lights on dash are out,put it in gear and good to go.pwr steering light is on and no power steering. Next challenge is on!

·
Registered
248 Posts
PaulF, thanks for the clarification on reading the code. I went back and looked at my manual and see where it makes sense now. Found one of the problems this morning. The 30 amp CONT fuse that had blown twice had power at the fuse block but was dead at the PCM. Ran a new wire from fuse block to PCM. Turned key a it fired up, all lights on dash are out,put it in gear and good to go.pwr steering light is on and no power steering. Next challenge is on!
The 30 amp CONT wire to the PCM runs directly from the fuse block to the PCM (no other connectors to get lose). Since the fuse blew twice and now the wire is dead (and now you have other problems) I suspect you have a kinked or pinched wire harness. If that is the case, you will be chasing wiring problems forever.

Remove your center console and see if the big harness in there is properly routed and not pinched between some metal parts that are bolted together.

if you see something wrong, get it warrantied. The main wire harness for that machine is MSRP $943 and you have to dismantle most of the machine to replace it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts