Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Brand new Talon, about 20 miles, out riding and it starts to overheat. Didn’t hear the fan running and could hear the antifreeze boiling. Anybody had this issue before? I saw where some of the 19 machines had the fan wired incorrectly, but I figured that issue would have been fixed by now. Possible air in the lines? Any thoughts/suggestions. Thanks, Pikester

·
Registered
259 Posts
Take off radiator cap and see if Tstat is opening and should see coolant circulating. Any air bubbles while your are watching indicates trapped air.

many stupid little fans were on the Honda display?

Dod you Mount anything directly behind the fan under the hood?

Any indicator lights come on?

does the fan come on?

The obvious is to see if coolant is full as well.

I installed an inline temp probe and display for the coolant - fan on mine kicks on about 218 and shuts off about 205.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. No accessories at all, high coolant temperature indicator came on & I immediately stopped and the coolant overflow bottle was almost full and boiling. Fan never did come on, so I checked the 40A fuse and it is good. Let it cool down for 30 minutes and drove home and never passed 2 bars on temp. gauge.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Ughh - btw - fan should be on a smaller fuse. Is fan plugged in?

Hot wire it to a battery or something to make sure it actually works - does it spin?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all. Have brand new 2021 X and having same issue. Been out on Hatfield McCoy trails a total of 5 times and 3 times suddenly had overheat indicator come on. Both times when moving slow after running for a while. Was able to let set and cool then make it home no problem. As long as maintaining movement, it stay cooled. Read all threads before hand. Checked wiring, fuse, gtg. Last time, I immediately stopped and pulled hood to see that fan was not running while gauge said it was overheating. Guess I got lemon fan and time to get some warranty work done.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all. Have brand new 2021 X and having same issue. Been out on Hatfield McCoy trails a total of 5 times and 3 times suddenly had overheat indicator come on. Both times when moving slow after running for a while. Was able to let set and cool then make it home no problem. As long as maintaining movement, it stay cooled. Read all threads before hand. Checked wiring, fuse, gtg. Last time, I immediately stopped and pulled hood to see that fan was not running while gauge said it was overheating. Guess I got lemon fan and time to get some warranty work done.
Check and make sure your fan wiring is connected. That’s why mine was overheating. Once that was corrected, hasn’t gone above 2 bars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check and make sure your fan wiring is connected. That’s why mine was overheating. Once that was corrected, hasn’t gone above 2 bars.
The connector at the fan (Red-Blue / Green-Black connector)? Or, is there another suspect location possibly not wired? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The connector at the fan (Red-Blue / Green-Black connector)? Or, is there another suspect location possibly not wired? Thanks in advance
Not exactly sure, as it was under warranty and that’s all the dealership told me was fan was disconnected. Good luck!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yes, the connector under the hood. They have been know to not be plugged in all the way AND the wires not inserted into one half of the plug connector.
Also check that the Fan Relay is plugged in all the way. It is the second one from the passenger side just above the fuse box.
Also check the Fan Control Unit. It is under the seat and I think it has a 5P connector with 4 wires.
While you are under the seat, make sure all the grounds are clean and tight.
Also check the 40 amp FAN fuse. It is the left most fuse in the Battery Box (not in the fuse box).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had the same problem mine was due to water intrusion. The fan motor is not a sealed unit. It also has a drain line WTF.... Anyways....I bought the Spahl unit brushless sealed unit. This thing is ridiculous CFM compared to stock. I just got done doin the install maybe runs 5secs here and there you can feel the air it's pulling through radiator keep small children and pets away could be sucked up. I bet I get at least 3more knots through the water.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Finally getting around to post progress report. Bottom line: Dealer was estimating a month out to even look at Talon so I said screw it/warranty and went about it myself. Fuses/wires and coolant were good. Hot wired fan and made sure it worked. So whatever is supposed to trip the fan on was not working. Maybe someone here can tell me and I can fix/replace it later. In interim, I got the Hess fan override kit (plug and play) and put in a temp sensor and gauge (from another post on this site) so i could see the actual temp. Working good now. No overheating, I flip the fan on/off when I want. Usually leave it on when going slow. Otherwise, kick it on when around 200 F.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Finally getting around to post progress report. Bottom line: Dealer was estimating a month out to even look at Talon so I said screw it/warranty and went about it myself. Fuses/wires and coolant were good. Hot wired fan and made sure it worked. So whatever is supposed to trip the fan on was not working. Maybe someone here can tell me and I can fix/replace it later. In interim, I got the Hess fan override kit (plug and play) and put in a temp sensor and gauge (from another post on this site) so i could see the actual temp. Working good now. No overheating, I flip the fan on/off when I want. Usually leave it on when going slow. Otherwise, kick it on when around 200 F.
The fan is controlled by the ECU via a relay and a Fan Control Unit. There is a complete, step by step sequence of 11 detailed tests to do if the fan motor does not run starting on page 23-16. I am not going to post the steps here, too much to post. You may want to borrow or purchase a Service Manual. They are nearly 700 pages and worth every penny.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The fan is controlled by the ECU via a relay and a Fan Control Unit. There is a complete, step by step sequence of 11 detailed tests to do if the fan motor does not run starting on page 23-16. I am not going to post the steps here, too much to post. You may want to borrow or purchase a Service Manual. They are nearly 700 pages and worth every penny.
Oy Vey! 11 tests and a 700 page manual. I’ll keep using my human controlled method for now. Lol. Thank you for the info though. Probably get manual later on.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Oy Vey! 11 tests and a 700 page manual. I’ll keep using my human controlled method for now. Lol. Thank you for the info though. Probably get manual later on.
You should consider the manual -- just like instructions -- they can actually fix problems but then again many ignore them just to complain later! (I have been there and have the T). :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts