• Talon R for trail riding in the Midwest

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based upon what you own and not what you have read or heard (Heresay), would you be so kind as to state your preference and why, for these two similar models. I can read all day about what Honda says and there is many videos and trade rags to read, which I have, but wanted real owners input that lead to their decision in the choice process? I respect the owners of this forum for real input as I narrow down the choice, prior to purchase. Thank you in advance for your input.

Respectfully.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2019 X I bought in July 2019. I live in Ohio and ride in PA,WV and Kentucky. I came from an Arctic Cat Wildcat Sport which I had 30” tires on that put me at 64” wide. Already knowing that width worked for the trails I ride I was sold on the X. I typically ride with a group that all have 60” machines which was also a consideration. I did look at the R and for the price difference it’s a nice machine if you don’t mind the width and turning radius. I don’t think you can go wrong either way. I have about 350 miles now and can say the X was a good choice. Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
2020 Honda 1000R Talon
18 Posts
Purchased a 1000R. Previously had a Polaris 900XP. After spending $ on the Polaris suspension upgrades the difference between the X and R is worth it. I ride desert, mountains, dunes and o issues with the width.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you have no trail width limitations - R.

Some trails in PA where I live have 65” wide bollards for access - I went X.

Throttle/surging takes some getting used to at low speeds - definitely not a rubber band machine that is smoother.......

I replaced tender springs at .3 miles on all 4 corners on my X. Factory tenders were collapsed at new.

Good luck - it’s a Honda - can’t go wrong.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not sure what the Midwest trails are like, but if they are narrow and/or tight, you may want to go with the X. The only benefit of the X is the 64" width on tight trails and the significantly better turning radius. However, the suspension on the X is stiff... I mean really stiff, too stiff in my opinion for slow speed rocky type trails. I own the X and after only a couple hundred miles had had enough and sent off my shocks/springs to Shock Therapy, along with a description of my primary riding style/terrain, and detailed list of all the aftermarket modifications as well as planned modifications. They determined shock valving and spring rates based on the provided information and sent them back ready for me to mount. I haven't been able to really drive the buggy since installing the new setup, but I can already tell it will be much much better than it was for my type of riding. I think the factory setup would be fine for high speed relatively smooth trails, but not for slow speed rough trail riding.
The cost for the Shock Therapy treatment was about $1500 which is no small amount. You can buy the Talon R for only $1000 over the cost of the X and the R sounds like it comes with a much better suspension overall, so my suggestion is that unless you need the narrower width and the tighter turning ability, go with the R.

·
Registered
29 Posts
First check out the width rule for where you are going to use it. We have the X and love it. We ride mostly tighter trails in Wisconsin and Minnesota. Wisconsin also has a 65 inch max width. You also can't get the R in Canada. Honda of Canada didn't even bring any to Canada because of the width.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Indiana/Illinois rider. Lots of woods riding, lots of trails primarily ridden by ATV's, almost no opportunity for gettin er done in open spaces.

X

Had a Razr 800 rated at 60.5" , the size of that thing was just about perfect for my location.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Based upon what you own and not what you have read or heard (Heresay), would you be so kind as to state your preference and why, for these two similar models. I can read all day about what Honda says and there is many videos and trade rags to read, which I have, but wanted real owners input that lead to their decision in the choice process? I respect the owners of this forum for real input as I narrow down the choice, prior to purchase. Thank you in advance for your input.

Respectfully.
I’m a trail rider and the x is more maneuverable in the trails. Also I would have to buy a new trailer or widen my existing trailer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts