Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove my talon to work the other day because of the winter weather and on my way it died on me, the shift inicator had a - in it, the i4wd light came on along with the check engine light, i came to a stop, restarted it and the idle jumped to 4000 plus rpm, i couldnt get it in gear, no indication lights came on at this point. I shut it off put it in gear and restarted, the idle was still high and it wouldnt move, so again i shut it off put it in neutral and restarted it, i put it in drive before the idle climbed and the clutch did grab this time but the idle was still around 4000. I let it sit over night in a heated garage, started the next day and the idle climbed to around 3000 plus rpm immediatly after starting, after running about a min or 2 the idle finaly dropped to 2100 rpm and about a min later it dropped to normal. I took it for a drive around the block and before i made it home the whole scenario happened again.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I’ve fixed many machines that either the battery connections were loose at the battery, battery weak, or bad grounds. Short of taking back to dealer - IMO I would poke around at all the electrical stuff including the connectors to the brain and see if there is a smoking gun.

·
Registered
246 Posts
hi - I would think water if anything from the snow and as you suggest a loose connector somewhere, many things to check but I’d start with the simple stuff (battery/connections) and the big ecm connectors, don’t forget the main grounds as well.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Perhaps moisture in the fuel? It sounds strange and unlikely, but I have seen stranger things!

·
Registered
246 Posts
anything is possible - my neighbor couldn’t get his quad to start - fuel can was outside I guess and got lots of water in it at some point - had to drain the tank and carb bowl and was just fine

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think i found my problem, the throtltle angle sensor at the accelerator pedal, my check engine light gave me a code of 10 long and 2 short flashes, seen another post that said eache long flash is = to 10 short, so the only codes i was able to find that was 101-1, 101-2, those pointed me to my angle sensor or throttle issues and i remeber my pedal was stiff at 1 point while i was having issues. So i started with that sensor, i feel like it had water inside the pedal sleeve that the sensor is attached to, it froze and messed the sensor up while i was driving around in the 10deg weather. When i just simply unhook the sensor i get the 10 long and 1 short flash so i think im headed in the right direction, im going to teplace the sensor and go from there, might have to replace the while pedal arm that goes to the sensor also

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem fixed! Just wanted to give an update, this may help someone else, the problem was nothing more than dirt built up inside the part of the throttle body that the accelerator cable runs into, that is not a seald cover and debris can and will get in there, this was preventing my throttle from closing like it is suppose to, so that being said if anyone else runs into a code of 10 long flashes and 2 short, pull this cover off and inspect inside of here. I looked at it a hundred times not wanting to take it off cause its in a tight spot, but after ohming out my wires on the front sensor, replacing the front sensor, and checking my grounds, that was my next step. I hope this will help someone.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Sorry I was late, that has happened to me here in Fl and it just takes a couple of taps of the throttle or washing it out to flush out the grit from mud and water. No freezing here and I am sure that would add to the problem. Glad you were able to fix it and not have to send to dealer. :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
This is great the final solve was posted - appreciate it.
What cover are you referring to? Throttle bodies at the engines where cable runs into?
Any pics by chance or too tight?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts