Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda Talon X
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

So I picked up a 2019 Talon 1000X a couple days ago, took it for its first ride today of about 100 miles. Coming from a Rzr 1k XP for comparisons sake, really looking forward to Honda reliability, I can assure you that.

First off, the DCT in this thing is magical in most situations, just absolutely transforms a side by side from a moped to a sport bike (if that makes sense). Really jumpy at low speeds, but that's okay.

Now, I think something is seriously wrong with my suspension, I have all clickers on the softest (1) setting, and the ride is ridiculously harsh. It's a sport side by side, much like my RZR was, yet somehow this thing rides 1000x worse, and is downright dangerous on rough terrain, basically hopping all over the place... I have a Polaris Ranger, with something like 9 inches of suspension travel, that handles large and small bumps better than the Talon, and that just doesn't seem to make any sense to me. One could probably carry a higher speed and be more comfy in a friggin golf cart than this thing... Especially compared to the XP, this thing sucks in the suspension dept. (1000x nicer fit and finish, tranny is 10x better, engine is awesome, once I get this suspension thing sorted i'll be 100% happy with the Talon!

Is there some setting i'm missing? Something broken perhaps? What the hell is wrong with this thing?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi - mine is the same - I changed the small tender springs on all 4 corners and it’s better - but nowhere near RZR XP.

One 2”high rock in the trail is like sending a spike up thru my back.

Driving me nuts, gonna nite the bullet and drop the $1200+ to revalve over the winter.

Is what it is - just dissapointed Honda missed by 100 miles on this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The springs are too stiff, and changing the small springs helps but you really need a full spring kit. Revalving the shocks won’t help if the springs don’t get changed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Agree 100%!!!

I figured for $200 and a couple of hours in the garage the tender swap was not a bad short term compromise.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X 4 Live Valve
106 Posts
The springs are too stiff, and changing the small springs helps but you really need a full spring kit. Revalving the shocks won’t help if the springs don’t get changed.
It needs a complete re-valve and an all spring replacement. Shock Therapy is a good one for this.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi - mine is the same - I changed the small tender springs on all 4 corners and it’s better - but nowhere near RZR XP.

One 2”high rock in the trail is like sending a spike up thru my back.

Driving me nuts, gonna nite the bullet and drop the $1200+ to revalve over the winter.

Is what it is - just dissapointed Honda missed by 100 miles on this.
Hey folks,

So I picked up a 2019 Talon 1000X a couple days ago, took it for its first ride today of about 100 miles. Coming from a Rzr 1k XP for comparisons sake, really looking forward to Honda reliability, I can assure you that.

First off, the DCT in this thing is magical in most situations, just absolutely transforms a side by side from a moped to a sport bike (if that makes sense). Really jumpy at low speeds, but that's okay.

Now, I think something is seriously wrong with my suspension, I have all clickers on the softest (1) setting, and the ride is ridiculously harsh. It's a sport side by side, much like my RZR was, yet somehow this thing rides 1000x worse, and is downright dangerous on rough terrain, basically hopping all over the place... I have a Polaris Ranger, with something like 9 inches of suspension travel, that handles large and small bumps better than the Talon, and that just doesn't seem to make any sense to me. One could probably carry a higher speed and be more comfy in a friggin golf cart than this thing... Especially compared to the XP, this thing sucks in the suspension dept. (1000x nicer fit and finish, tranny is 10x better, engine is awesome, once I get this suspension thing sorted i'll be 100% happy with the Talon!

Is there some setting i'm missing? Something broken perhaps? What the hell is wrong with this thing?
Hey folks,

It needs a complete re-valve and an all spring replacement. Shock Therapy is a good one for this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey folks,

Exactly the same thing with my 2019 Talon, coming from the RZR 1000 I couldn't believe Honda got it so bad. When I spoke to the guys at Suspension Therapy in Arizona, they said Honda may of had to go with their factory suspension setup to meet federal rollover standards. That's the only thing that made sense to me with such a "shocking" difference between the suspension of my Talon compared to my RZR. I did end up going with the Suspension Therapy spring set up and it did much improve the Talon. Still not perfect but much better than the factory setup. Good luck with this. Otherwise the Talon has proved to be a great machine.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes in order for all UTVs to be compliant with government Roll-over regulations they must be able to keep all the wheels on the ground when they yank the steering wheel to the side going 25 mph. If the wheel does come off the ground they need to make the changes so it won’t! After they get it right every one they make and sell must perform the same. So the end product to the consumer Is a safer machine (in their opinion) and a horrible ride for all of us!
Do your self a favor and just plan on Re-working your shocks!
About half is Springs and the other is Re-valving or about $1200. It will be by far the best thing you can do to a Talon!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes in order for all UTVs to be compliant with government Roll-over regulations they must be able to keep all the wheels on the ground when they yank the steering wheel to the side going 25 mph. If the wheel does come off the ground they need to make the changes so it won’t! After they get it right every one they make and sell must perform the same. So the end product to the consumer Is a safer machine (in their opinion) and a horrible ride for all of us!
Do your self a favor and just plan on Re-working your shocks!
About half is Springs and the other is Re-valving or about $1200. It will be by far the best thing you can do to a Talon!
X2 !! Just bite the bullet and get it done. Unfortunately, it is one part of owning a Talon.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Talon 1000R
14 Posts
Hey folks,

Send your message to Honda. I sent 3 really nasty grams about it and some, Patrick fellow called me back and said they'd send me a hat? Still ain't seen the hat but a machine this advanced in today's sxs world should ride way better. By the way I wrote to fox also and NEVER GOT A RESPONSE. Good luck!

·
Registered
2019 Honda Talon 1000R
14 Posts
We should all get a $1200 check from Honda to get our suspension corrected. Everything costs $1200.00! Should have tore the Elka 5s off my cat b4 I got rid of it. LOL

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don’t believe Honda is going to provide $1200 suspension stimulation package rebate.

Looks like I just got to get up and go to work and pay for it myself.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Everyone says the X suspension is too harsh. No one has talked about setting the sag in the spring preload. Honda doesn’t set them for your particular weight in the car. I agree it’s stiff, but after changing the tender springs, and setting the preload, it’s a lot better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts