Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, looking at purchasing a Talon for use in my home town of St George, UT. Likely 60% desert, 40% mountain use.

I like the smaller turning circle of the X and the smoother ride of the R. What is your opinion of getting an X and with the $1000 saved getting the shocks revalved by a reputable company? How much does it typically cost?

I'm confused with the specs. According to the Honda specs they are both 123.9" long, yet the R has a wheelbase that is 5.1" longer. How did they increase the wheelbase while keeping the overall length the same?

Thanks everyone!!
Trvlngnrs

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
If the final difference is 1K get the R for the larger shocks and bit better ride. I have an X but it was used and I saved enough to purchase Stage 5 Elka shocks but still using OEMs.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Hi guys, looking at purchasing a Talon for use in my home town of St George, UT. Likely 60% desert, 40% mountain use.

I like the smaller turning circle of the X and the smoother ride of the R. What is your opinion of getting an X and with the $1000 saved getting the shocks revalved by a reputable company? How much does it typically cost?

I'm confused with the specs. According to the Honda specs they are both 123.9" long, yet the R has a wheelbase that is 5.1" longer. How did they increase the wheelbase while keeping the overall length the same?

Thanks everyone!!
Trvlngnrs

View attachment 899
Shocks can be extremely expensive and there are several good companies to deal with when setting up your suspension. The first question is how adjustable they are and then are you willing to go through a very lengthy setup procedure. If you want one of the very best dampers then try Elka stage 5s but you will have to dig deep. Elka offers top quality and also offers less expensive versions. To help you decide here is a quick idea of what it takes to set up a set of dampers OFF-ROAD SUSPENSION SET-UP MADE EASY! .
Note the brand Off-Road highlights. Do not have a heart attack when you look at the price and they do make shocks specifically designed for the sand -- they are massive. Not saying other brands are less capable but Elka is at the very top tear. Let us know what you decide. Also best to wait until you have added all the accessories and do the suspension setup last. That way you do not have to keep adjusting for the added weight. Also consider weighing each corner and getting L to R and F to B balanced (with riders and equipment) prior to ordering the dampers and you will have actual riding weights ready when you order. Have fun and do be safe out there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great info... thank you! I'm leaning towards the R for the increase wheel articulation. I'm 59 and my wife is a bit older, so a smoother ride is important. I realized even if I get the shocks revolved, the X still has less travel.

With the longer wheelbase of the R, is the passenger's compartment or trunk lengthened, even though the overall length is the same? I thought they had the same passenger compartment but the +5" has to be somewhere!

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Good decision, with all of the modifications I have made to my X it is just about as long and wider. The added length and width make the ride just a tad better and feels more stable and I am on the other side of 70 so I know what you mean. I still ride on the rough side and love it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I live in St. George also..... I tried the Shock Therapy springs ($650). Still rode quite stiff. Then I found a local guy that does suspensions. He is my biggest fan. He took the springs off and said that they couldn't even move the shock. He revalved it and changed the tender spring. Now it rides like they way it should have out the door at the dealer. It was about a $1200 dollar lesson. See Home Tom is a great guy.... an old dirt bike racer.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Just curious anyone try the Elka stage 5 shocks they are very expensive, but they are very adjustable, that in itself is a pain. To get them set up correctly requires a lot of trial and error -- means making a single adjustment at a time and then trying them out. Calls for a spread sheet and also compensating for any additional weight that was not initially considered. After I finish all of the mods I will look a bit deeper into setting up a marshmallow suspension but for now bandages will do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
QUOTE="Trvlngnrs, post: 4108, member: 945"]
Great info... thank you! I'm leaning towards the R for the increase wheel articulation. I'm 59 and my wife is a bit older, so a smoother ride is important. I realized even if I get the shocks revolved, the X still has less travel.

With the longer wheelbase of the R, is the passenger's compartment or trunk lengthened, even though the overall length is the same? I thought they had the same passenger compartment but the +5" has to be somewhere!
[/QUOTE]
The bodies are exactly the same. Part of the extended wheel base is the front a arm suspension moves the axles toward the front at the wheels. in other words the axle does not come straight out of the front drive like the X. The rear is probably moved back the same way. It is only the actual wheelbase that is longer not the passenger compartment or the trunk.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
QUOTE="Trvlngnrs, post: 4108, member: 945"]

The bodies are exactly the same. Part of the extended wheel base is the front a arm suspension moves the axles toward the front at the wheels. in other words the axle does not come straight out of the front drive like the X. The rear is probably moved back the same way. It is only the actual wheelbase that is longer not the passenger compartment or the trunk.
[/QUOTE]
I believe you are spot on the main difference is in the suspension. My X is now more like the R (forward A Arms, wheel spacers, Portals). I do like the ride -- more stable even being a foot taller than stock.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have the X and hated the suspension. I'm on the other side of 60 and my wife at only 53 was not a happy girl after our first mountain trail ride in the Talon. $1500 to Shock Therapy for their Ride Improvement System (springs and re-valving) and the world is a better place. I specified my type of riding, mostly rocky trail riding, and gave them a list of every option added and planned to be added, as well as driver and passenger weight etc, and they gave me a setup that is fantastic compared to the stock setup. The ride in the rough stuff is dramatically better. Of course I did give up some flat cornering, but for the kind of riding I do most of the time it was completely worth it! It might be worth mentioning that I also changed the factory tires at the same time, going to 30" Kanati Mongrels which could have also helped with the ride.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts