Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, looking at purchasing a Talon for use in my home town of St George, UT. Likely 60% desert, 40% mountain use.

I like the smaller turning circle of the X and the smoother ride of the R. What is your opinion of getting an X and with the $1000 saved getting the shocks revalved by a reputable company? How much does it typically cost?

I'm confused with the specs. According to the Honda specs they are both 123.9" long, yet the R has a wheelbase that is 5.1" longer. How did they increase the wheelbase while keeping the overall length the same?

Thanks everyone!!
Trvlngnrs

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
If the final difference is 1K get the R for the larger shocks and bit better ride. I have an X but it was used and I saved enough to purchase Stage 5 Elka shocks but still using OEMs.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Hi guys, looking at purchasing a Talon for use in my home town of St George, UT. Likely 60% desert, 40% mountain use.

I like the smaller turning circle of the X and the smoother ride of the R. What is your opinion of getting an X and with the $1000 saved getting the shocks revalved by a reputable company? How much does it typically cost?

I'm confused with the specs. According to the Honda specs they are both 123.9" long, yet the R has a wheelbase that is 5.1" longer. How did they increase the wheelbase while keeping the overall length the same?

Thanks everyone!!
Trvlngnrs

View attachment 899
Shocks can be extremely expensive and there are several good companies to deal with when setting up your suspension. The first question is how adjustable they are and then are you willing to go through a very lengthy setup procedure. If you want one of the very best dampers then try Elka stage 5s but you will have to dig deep. Elka offers top quality and also offers less expensive versions. To help you decide here is a quick idea of what it takes to set up a set of dampers OFF-ROAD SUSPENSION SET-UP MADE EASY! .
Note the brand Off-Road highlights. Do not have a heart attack when you look at the price and they do make shocks specifically designed for the sand -- they are massive. Not saying other brands are less capable but Elka is at the very top tear. Let us know what you decide. Also best to wait until you have added all the accessories and do the suspension setup last. That way you do not have to keep adjusting for the added weight. Also consider weighing each corner and getting L to R and F to B balanced (with riders and equipment) prior to ordering the dampers and you will have actual riding weights ready when you order. Have fun and do be safe out there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great info... thank you! I'm leaning towards the R for the increase wheel articulation. I'm 59 and my wife is a bit older, so a smoother ride is important. I realized even if I get the shocks revolved, the X still has less travel.

With the longer wheelbase of the R, is the passenger's compartment or trunk lengthened, even though the overall length is the same? I thought they had the same passenger compartment but the +5" has to be somewhere!

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Good decision, with all of the modifications I have made to my X it is just about as long and wider. The added length and width make the ride just a tad better and feels more stable and I am on the other side of 70 so I know what you mean. I still ride on the rough side and love it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts