Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start by saying that this is my first sxs. I've only driven a few rhino's and rangers here and there, never even ridden in another full sport sxs. So take my words for what they're worth. I have had a variety of off road rigs, mostly Toyota's and suzukis, plus a few dirt bikes.

So far I've had it in almost every terrain but deep mud. Deep snow(with tires and tracks), hill climbs, slick wet dirt roads, loose rock, desert, grippy rock slabs, ect.

Start with the pros. The build quality is very obvious, doors shut tight, no rattles, everything is easy to get to and designed well. The engine is great, makes great power throughout the rpm range. I love the transmission, especially the option to just toss it in auto. Occasionally it may do some weird things, mostly in snow or loose surfaces. It will Rev up, shift up, bog a little, down shift, then repeat. This is where manual mode comes in. This is the whole reason I bought the talon, I didn't want a belt. The downside is that you have a much more complex system, that if it does fail, will be more more involved than changing a belt.

The suspension and handling feel great to me. From the first minute I started sliding the thing around corners, it felt very nimble and predictable. Took me no time at all to get comfortable. Again, I've never been in another sport sxs, but it seems to take bumps very well. Many complain about the roughness on small chatter terrain, which I can agree. I will probably play with the shocks in the future.

Now the cons. I'll go in order that I experienced them. First off, honda accessories suck, they are very high priced and fit like shit.

Lower doors: holes don't line up on the front 2 and the gaps are very uneven.

Front windshield: (I actually have both) huge gap in the center, rubber seal has the perfect shape, but comes up 3/8" short.

Rear hard window: holes were off, almost had to slot them with a die grinder.

Wiper kit: this actually seems to fit and work fine, but was way over priced.

Switch panel: this was such a pos I ended up returning it. $350 and I had to go back to get a "sub harness" which is a 2' long piece of wire with a few plugs for $60. I got it home only to realize I had spend $400 and didn't have any switches or a fuse block.

Soft upper doors: These are very nice, but VERY expensive. They fit pretty good for the most part, but could be a little better. The worst part is there is some chunk of metal that sticks out when you open the door, just waiting to jab you in the back.

The next gripe I have, which I knew I wasn't going like before I bought it. I4wd, for one, didn't work from new and took 2 weeks to fix. Now that it's working, I really hate it. When trying slow technical rock crawling type obstacles, it has flat out not worked, just sat and spun. Or by the time it did work, the spinning caused me to fall off line. I've had a few time in the snow also, feathering the throttle to not spin and only gotten 3 wheels for a second. To be fair, it works fine for most things, but that's mostly because there is an aggressive limited slip diff doing most of the work.

I also had a major problem with the sub transmission, grinding in low. The big issue is the shift gate is not in the right place and also allows a lot of movement in the shifter. Often the shifter is in the low gate, but low is not actually engaged. On top of that, the teeth to engage low are a large flat 3 prong design and will often align with each other. Making it impossible to engage with out rolling a few feet. This can be a pain in tight trails where you are shifting from low to reverse often. I already had to have the sub trans repaired for this issue. Even worse, honda denied the warranty because I am running 32s. Fortunately, my dealer didn't think that was right and covered the cost.

Speaking of low, why didn't they make it lower? Why do we need the ability to go 55 in low? 2nd gear low is roughly the same as 1st gear high. Almost pointless. They could have easily made 4th or 5th gear low roughly the same as 1st gear high. Trying to actually crawl leaves something to be desired, I fear overheating the clutches on long rock trails.

Another thing that I'm not a fan of is how electronic these are. There are a hand full of sensors on the machine that can cause major issue if a stick sneaks up and breaks one. Not shifting, no 4wd, no I4wd, ect.

Over all, the thing is fun, it's going to take some time for me to get some confidence back in the machine. It spent 4 out of the first 7 weeks I've owned it in the shop, so I'm afraid to break it again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh I forgot one more smaller thing.

With as quality as the machine is, I'm blown away by how shitty the hardware is. I've lost count of how many allen heads I've stripped the hex out of. Of course they're all some special shoulder shank deal too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another gripe I have is the rocker panel area. I know that most people aren't rock crawling like me, but I'd imagine most will encounter a rock or stump at some point.

Honda basically extended the body work type plastic all the way down to the frame on the sides, plus stuck the rear flair out all the way down as well. I think I broke both rear flairs in the first few trips. Could have been designed better. I'll be adding full skids and rock Sliders eventually, so I'm not too worried about it. Just thought I'd mention it for whoever is reading.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At some point I'd like to add some positive feedback, but not yet.

No damn parking brake!? Kid just bumped the shifter and it rolled down my driveway into my trailer ?, luckily it was very slow and didn't do anything to the kid or machine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts