Honda Talon Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Had my 2019 Talon 1000R 2 weeks and at the 100 mile initial service I noticed that the front differential was leaking oil at the LF axle shaft, although it will be fixed under warranty, the tech said that they have been getting quite a few in for the same problem (5 in the last 2 weeks). I asked him if this was a defect and he wouldn't commit to an answer but said that I was lucky not to have both leaking, Hmm. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue with their Talon. other wise love the machine.
My 1000x with 180 miles just developed today on the right rear differential.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I checked both front and rear vents and they were both clogged at the frame. Used a small piece of bailing wire and punched it through a couple times. No leaks on rear and had barely any seepage on left front. Hopefully I caught it in time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm in the "got the new design seals and both front seals are still leaking" camp. Dealer said I'm the third one with continuing leaks after the new design seals.

Seen a lot of discussion about vent lines. Neither of mine were plugged. I could find the air outlet on the front, but not on the back. Anyone know where it is?

Has anyone found a vent line plugged, cleared it out and had their leaks stop?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just over 2000 miles on mine and no leaks,,,,yet. I read on a talon group with FB that there is a different seal design to replace the leakey factory one. Should I develop a leak I think I will go to a supplier that has seals and match up with the factory one and replace it myself.
These Talons definitely do not have the same reliability that that the ATVs have always had,,,,very disappointing. I have had 3 250R 2 strokes and still have one,,, they never leaked or broke and I rode my main one in Utah,,,Colorado,,,Glamis,,Oklahoma and even down south in Mexico. Nothing ever broke.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My X4 was leaking at the 100mile service. Dealer replaced it. Now at 230 miles leaking again. Called the dealer and they were surprised it was leaking after the first fix. Have an appointment set up for next week but going to check the breather lines like others did. I will let you know what I find.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I checked my lines and they were open, I have a little over 2K and the seals are dry as a can be. I did run new lines to a higher location so as to eliminate any chance of water getting in the gear box even tho I do not run in deep water. At the end of each line I put on a plastic fuel filter for small engines just to keep out any dust.

July issue of UTV action magazine has a "How to do" article on changing the seals,, looks ez

·
Registered
1 Posts
So what is the new part number? I found 91254-HL4-F41 on bikebandit, but it doesn't show whether this is the old part number or the updated one. Someone needs to find out what the new number is so when we all go in we can ask the dealer and verify that the seal they are installing is the latest version and not just one they had in the stock room.
Mine has the left leaking at 175miles and the vent line is easy to blow through so that's not the problem. Also the same part number seal is used on the passenger side, which doesn't seem to leak, so it makes me think this is an axle issue or case design flaw.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had my 2019 Talon 1000R 2 weeks and at the 100 mile initial service I noticed that the front differential was leaking oil at the LF axle shaft, although it will be fixed under warranty, the tech said that they have been getting quite a few in for the same problem (5 in the last 2 weeks). I asked him if this was a defect and he wouldn't commit to an answer but said that I was lucky not to have both leaking, Hmm. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue with their Talon. other wise love the machine.
I have the 10004 live valve and my LF axle seal is leaking also

·
Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X 4 Live Valve
91 Posts
Crap wife saw oil under front end, I just checked and my left diff is leaking too ? 729 miles 45 hours View attachment 301 View attachment 302 View attachment 301 View attachment 302
How's yours with the axle seal leak? Mine is going in for the 3rd time when they get another seal for me. Including the original seal, this will make the fourth one in the machine. Honda doesn't seem to be very concerned with this, so far. I am concerned because my warranty runs out in October. I can't believe Honda can't find a quick fix for this since it is a rampant problem !! I currently have only 1800 miles on my Talon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would be asking shop for something from Honda in writing that this is covered for another year at least... if there are no leaks in that time frame then the extended warranty expires but if it leaks again this next year they need to warranty it for another year, especially since you will be on your fourth seal now

·
Registered
255 Posts
How's yours with the axle seal leak? Mine is going in for the 3rd time when they get another seal for me. Including the original seal, this will make the fourth one in the machine. Honda doesn't seem to be very concerned with this, so far. I am concerned because my warranty runs out in October. I can't believe Honda can't find a quick fix for this since it is a rampant problem !! I currently have only 1800 miles on my Talon.
I have 3000 miles now, doing fine. Don't sweat the warranty. My dealer said once you have done warranty work and Honda knows it's a problem, they will take care of it after your warranty period. But definitely ask them about it. Mines up in September. Ask your dealer this time if its the new part number, otherwise you are just getting the same bad seal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
20201 R Live Valve and just noticed the leak so hit the forums. 242 miles. Calling dealer tomorrow but will also check the vent tubes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2020 1000x-4 119 miles and LF axle left a dime sized drip on the garage floor. Called the dealer I bought it from and they said they have never heard of a problem and I needed to take it in and drop it off so they can see if Honda will cover this under warranty. Vent tube to the front diff is clear.

·
Registered
255 Posts
2020 1000x-4 119 miles and LF axle left a dime sized drip on the garage floor. Called the dealer I bought it from and they said they have never heard of a problem and I needed to take it in and drop it off so they can see if Honda will cover this under warranty. Vent tube to the front diff is clear.
That your dealer hasn’t heard of it is surprising and perhaps disturbing

·
Registered
81 Posts
lol

they all say the same thing

I said known talon issue - all over the forums

“really - never heard of it - we will take a look”

·
Registered
255 Posts
I liked my dealer when I made the purchase and when I called them later about the leak, they weren't surprised and were expecting my call. Those whose dealers where you didn't get that; probably need a different dealer in the future IMO

81 - 98 of 98 Posts