Honda Talon Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Two weeks/200+ miles and seal is leaking. Buddies Talon 4 has had the repair done once and it is leaking again. Calling later today.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Damn

cleared breather line a while back and took my X off road for first time this weekend and puddle of oil from left front diff seal next day

when in i4wd could definitely hear the front diff howling - is this normal?

turn off i4wd and quiet as a church mouse

·
Registered
16 Posts
They all make noise in four wheel, some are louder than others. Most noise is when coasting. I only use four wheel when necessary just so not to have to hear the noise. I want to try some Red line shockproof oil and see how it sounds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just emailed dealer tonight about my talon leaking asking if it was normal, shoulda looked here first woulda emailed just to straight up make apt. Mine has 650 miles when I noticed it I checked the level and still full so didn’t leak much yet.

·
Registered
59 Posts
lol - amazing part is when I called yesterday to schedule for warranty repair the Honda dealer said they never heard of this and would call to check with Honda and get back to me.

I am just had 100 miles and the seal is leaking and left front shock has no gas in it - I am sure Honda will take care of

·
Registered
3 Posts
Two weeks/200+ miles and seal is leaking. Buddies Talon 4 has had the repair done once and it is leaking again. Calling later today.
Just bought a new 2020 Talon 1000x Fox Live Valve last Tuesday. Put 100 miles on it the first two days. Noticed a black greasy puddle on the garage floor after the second day, but didn't think much of it since I was parking it in a neighbor's garage, so I thought it was from one of their vehicles.. Did the 100 mile service myself. Have put another 300 miles on it the last six days. After reading this forum, went and looked the front left side of the front final gear oil and a nice dark leak coming out from under the rubber. Looks like the same problem everyone else is having. Will contact the dealer tomorrow and update this post afterwards. My kids are going to be bummed that we cannot ride it until fixed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I’m riding

Checking fluid level before every ride until Honda calls back with service date

I haven’t heard of anyone reporting major oil loss in diff, just a slow leak

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m riding

Checking fluid level before every ride until Honda calls back with service date

I haven’t heard of anyone reporting major oil loss in diff, just a slow leak
The good news is the Honda Service Manager said the same thing. To check the level before every ride to see if I have to top off the oil, but usually it is a slow leak, but can get worse, so always check before every ride. If gets worse, then shut it down until it is fixed. Looks to be 3-4 weeks before they get the better/newer parts in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had my 2019 Talon 1000R 2 weeks and at the 100 mile initial service I noticed that the front differential was leaking oil at the LF axle shaft, although it will be fixed under warranty, the tech said that they have been getting quite a few in for the same problem (5 in the last 2 weeks). I asked him if this was a defect and he wouldn't commit to an answer but said that I was lucky not to have both leaking, Hmm. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue with their Talon. other wise love the machine.
I just bought a 2020 Talon 1000x-4, took it in after installing street legal kit and same problem, leaking front drivers differential boot. Set up an appointment at the dealership, hopefully its a quick fix and isn't a problem on the other side. Was yours resolved?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Local dealer is waiting for newer/better seals to come from Honda. Will be scheduled to be fixed in a couple of weeks. Supposedly, the newer/better seals don't have the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
LF was leaking after only two weeks. Fixed and two rides later, back again. I'm thinking there will be a recall soon. Happening to to many machines.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Talon X4 Live Valve
2 Posts
Mine went out with about 250 miles, took two weeks to get into dealer, but changed under warranty with no issues. Now at 400 miles it is out again and being told by the dealer that it has to be a full leak as opposed to a seep to get it changed due to the short supply of parts. Appointment in two weeks again, so we will see what they say.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just noticed yesterday my left front drive axel had some dirt and seepage stuck to boot and axel housing connection to diff. I have only 60 miles on the machine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just a reminder for people with a new Talon.... You really need to check your front and rear differential vent lines. Unplug them from the diff and attempt to blow through them. Lots of the Talon axle seals leaking problem is based around blocked vent lines. It makes pressure build up in the differential and actually pushes the fluid out the seals. Where the vent line is glued into the frame there has been excess glue on it that is blocking it from actually venting.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts