Honda Talon Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Is this a given with the Talon's or an isolated instance of a given sample? I see about 8 members it has happened to with some remedy seeming to be a new seal? I am sorry for those that this happened to as this is a "joy stealer" for sure and takes much time and energy to resolve. I want to be totally transparent and have yet to buy one and am days away from pulling the trigger but do not have the patience at this point for the headache of a chronic problem. Some weight in by the leaders would be appreciated and I thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X 4 Live Valve
60 Posts
Is this a given with the Talon's or an isolated instance of a given sample? I see about 8 members it has happened to with some remedy seeming to be a new seal? I am sorry for those that this happened to as this is a "joy stealer" for sure and takes much time and energy to resolve. I want to be totally transparent and have yet to buy one and am days away from pulling the trigger but do not have the patience at this point for the headache of a chronic problem. Some weight in by the leaders would be appreciated and I thank you in advance.
Yes, it has been an issue for many. However, Honda has come out with a new improved seal that works. I had mine done and there is no evidence of it leaking anymore. It has been around 500 miles since I had it replaced. I noticed the leaking at about 100 miles with the old seal. As you know Honda has halted production and since they produced the new seal, I would imagine that all newer units will have them in them. Who knows, but it is not a big deal for them to fix it under warranty. It took 3 hours to replace mine under warranty. Good luck in your decision. The Honda unit is awesome in so many erespects. I traded a 4 seat RZR for my Honda 1000X 4 Live Valve and will not look back !!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Don't let that issue, which may be fixed on the newer models, dissuade you. I have 2400 miles and the seal is no longer leaking. If you have a leak or any problem, my advice to people is get in to the dealer on warranty. Don't fix it yourself or ignore it. Down the road if it's a recurring issue, even out of warranty they will fix it, or a recall will occur. It was in the forums I learned about the seal, after I bought. I went into the garage, looked and mine was leaking. How long would it have taken for me to notice? Who knows. That's the value of the forums.

You are doing an excellent thing reviewing the forums before buying. I did it too. Not all my questions were answered, but that and learning that the accessories I wanted were available and not just for Honda, cinched it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Had my 2019 Talon 1000R 2 weeks and at the 100 mile initial service I noticed that the front differential was leaking oil at the LF axle shaft, although it will be fixed under warranty, the tech said that they have been getting quite a few in for the same problem (5 in the last 2 weeks). I asked him if this was a defect and he wouldn't commit to an answer but said that I was lucky not to have both leaking, Hmm. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue with their Talon. other wise love the machine.
Front left seal on my 2020 live valve seems to be an issue too. I had it changed at 130 miles and now at 275 miles leaking again. I’m sure dealer will repair under warranty. Bunch of BS to have it leak twice with in 300 miles.....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Honda now has an upgraded seal to solve this dilemma. Check with your dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had my 2019 Talon 1000R 2 weeks and at the 100 mile initial service I noticed that the front differential was leaking oil at the LF axle shaft, although it will be fixed under warranty, the tech said that they have been getting quite a few in for the same problem (5 in the last 2 weeks). I asked him if this was a defect and he wouldn't commit to an answer but said that I was lucky not to have both leaking, Hmm. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue with their Talon. other wise love the machine.
I've had my live valve 4 months with 1846 miles and front diff leaking left side also first time out. Dealer replaced the seal and it still leaks and now squealing at 35mph. The oil is very dark indicating metal floating around. Not good news taking it back in again. Honda's aren't supposed to do that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Front left seal on my 2020 live valve seems to be an issue too. I had it changed at 130 miles and now at 275 miles leaking again. I’m sure dealer will repair under warranty. Bunch of BS to have it leak twice with in 300 miles.....
Before you let the dealer have it again, make sure they have the new seals in stock and that they use it on yours this time. Just sayin’ !!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2019 Talon with 1300+ miles on it. Front diff. is also leaking drivers side. Has anyone been hassled by a dealer for having oversized tires, maybe causing the problem. I've got 32" on mine, haven't taken it in yet just curious. On another note, had a rock get between trailing arm mount and inside of the rear wheel. Cracked the wheel and caused a flat tire. JB weld and some patient riding buddies was able to finish ride.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a 2019 Talon with 1300+ miles on it. Front diff. is also leaking drivers side. Has anyone been hassled by a dealer for having oversized tires, maybe causing the problem. I've got 32" on mine, haven't taken it in yet just curious. On another note, had a rock get between trailing arm mount and inside of the rear wheel. Cracked the wheel and caused a flat tire. JB weld and some patient riding buddies was able to finish ride.
I haven't with my 32s yet, did with my 30s and no comment. Going in Saturday for shock leak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got my 2021 1000R LV on March 22nd and have 228 miles and was gonna wash it today and noticed the front diff on the left leaking so I didn’t wash it and will contact my dealer Monday morning. Did some internet searching and found this forum and joined. A clogged breather line that someone mentioned sounds like a high probability to me too. Got it in for my first service at about 150 (2 weeks ago) and it had no signs of anything then.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi - my ‘19 - X - 60 miles, just checked front diff breather line and the fitting was blocked.

I ran a torch tip cleaner thru the fitting to unblock.

:05, quick hopefully prevent seal from failing.

thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
220 Posts
First, how do you like the ride with the Live Valve?

Second, the dealer will square that away. I now have over 2500 miles, after 2 trips to the dealer, still not leaking. Back at the dealer now for the recall on the park gear pin(it was installed no problem) and my right rear fox shock is leaking.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I got my 2021 1000R LV on March 22nd and have 228 miles and was gonna wash it today and noticed the front diff on the left leaking so I didn’t wash it and will contact my dealer Monday morning. Did some internet searching and found this forum and joined. A clogged breather line that someone mentioned sounds like a high probability to me too. Got it in for my first service at about 150 (2 weeks ago) and it had no signs of anything then.

Second, the dealer will square that away. I now have over 2500 miles, after 2 trips to the dealer, still not leaking. Back at the dealer now for the recall on the park gear pin(it was installed no problem) and my right rear fox shock is leaking.

·
Registered
3 Posts

The ride is awesome, not that the non Live Valves aren’t awesome as well. A good friend of mine has a 2020 Talon R and were we really noticed a difference was tracking through the deep whoops especially when they are inconsistent. Its also really nice for controlling body roll, it stays very level. It’s been a blast overall so far, Taking it to St Anthony’s Idaho in a few weeks hopefully the turbo for the 21s will be available soon and that’s what Jackson is saying. The ECU connector and shift programming is different is what they told me.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The ride is awesome, not that the non Live Valves aren’t awesome as well. A good friend of mine has a 2020 Talon R and were we really noticed a difference was tracking through the deep whoops especially when they are inconsistent. Its also really nice for controlling body roll, it stays very level. It’s been a blast overall so far, Taking it to St Anthony’s Idaho in a few weeks hopefully the turbo for the 21s will be available soon and that’s what Jackson is saying. The ECU connector and shift programming is different is what they told me.
Thank you, that is exactly the detailed feedback I was looking for. I agree out of the box the ride is great and I can't believe how well it does on whoops! But I have driven my buddies RZR Pro and that Dynamix controls the body roll and gives you that last 10-15% to make it a fantastic handling and riding machine. When it's available I'll be retro fitting it to my 20R.

Yeah if you do sand, the turbo will make a huge difference. I do trails and often some longer rides120-150 miles. The small 7.2 tank is a problem, with a turbo it would be even worse. For me the 0-55 mph is my normal trail speed range and the R is responsive and capable. It's the 55-74 where the 104 horse power shows it's limits. Long flat sand wash, you can get to 60-65, maybe; but with a turbo, that is where they shine, longer acceleration, not the short bursts on the winding trail.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have 2020 X-4 LV with 200 miles same leak drivers front, goes in Thursday for warranty. Definitely going to check the breather line to see if it's plugged!

41 - 60 of 79 Posts