Honda Talon Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
We picked up the talon yesterday, they said a tie rod end had to be replaced too, damaged threads when removing it, two days shy of 4 weeks. Funny that I have 1.5 months of warranty gone with it being in a shop. Skid plate had a lot of oil in it so I’m assuming it’s from disassembly.
Weather permitting I will take it out this weekend to see if leak is fixed.
Did they do anything but replace the seal on the leak, or ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oil seal and tie rod end was replaced.

I had mentioned the rear suspension part was squeaking that I was going to do myself using a dry lubricant we use at work but they greased it too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our has 30 hrs and 500 miles and left front seal leaking , our local Honda shop said Honda has a new company making the seals and are going to replace ours out . They are putting a new factory seal in it for now and then they said a recall will happen once the new seals are Available. So for what’s it’s worth after 30k invested on our live valve x4 I hope they take care of us .

·
Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X 4 Live Valve
60 Posts
Had my 2019 Talon 1000R 2 weeks and at the 100 mile initial service I noticed that the front differential was leaking oil at the LF axle shaft, although it will be fixed under warranty, the tech said that they have been getting quite a few in for the same problem (5 in the last 2 weeks). I asked him if this was a defect and he wouldn't commit to an answer but said that I was lucky not to have both leaking, Hmm. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue with their Talon. other wise love the machine.
My Talon Dealer said he is receiving a new seal from Honda to take care of this problem and to wait a few days or until he receives them before having mine fixed. He said he would call me when he got the new ones in stock. No problem waiting so that I will not have to redo it at a later date by using the older and original replacement seals. Just a FYI for you fellow forum members !!

·
Registered
2020 Talon 1000x4
26 Posts
I've got 180 miles on my 2020 1000x4. Left front seal is leaking pretty good. My friend has a live valve model same miles and his is also leaking. We have yet to call Honda seeing how we ride every couple days and it would get in the way. Does anyone have a solid answer of why these are leaking? Looks to me the oil level is above the axle seals. And in the rear the oil level is below the seals. Kind of odd.

Also both our machines have a noticable whine in the front diff when in 4wd and you let off the throttle. Both used gl5 to service diffs at 100 miles also. Seems like this isn't cause for concern though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Had my 2019 Talon 1000R 2 weeks and at the 100 mile initial service I noticed that the front differential was leaking oil at the LF axle shaft, although it will be fixed under warranty, the tech said that they have been getting quite a few in for the same problem (5 in the last 2 weeks). I asked him if this was a defect and he wouldn't commit to an answer but said that I was lucky not to have both leaking, Hmm. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue with their Talon. other wise love the machine.
Same issue same side 132 miles...

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Talon Dealer said he is receiving a new seal from Honda to take care of this problem and to wait a few days or until he receives them before having mine fixed. He said he would call me when he got the new ones in stock. No problem waiting so that I will not have to redo it at a later date by using the older and original replacement seals. Just a FYI for you fellow forum members !!
UPDATE

New seals are in and with fifty miles or so there is no leaks! I think the new design is going to work!
Anyone have an updated part number for the new seal?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just take it in to the dealer, they won't be surprised. All covered under warranty. I took mine in twice, checked yesterday, not leaking.
My ‘19 Talon experienced same LF leak as mentioned above, When reading about repetitive failures made me think something different than a seal. So I checked the breather line on diff and found it plugged at the nipple where it goes into frame, someone used to much glue! Just got back from a short ride and no evidence of leak, yet. Might check it out mine couldn’t be only one.

·
Registered
2020 Talon 1000x4
26 Posts
My buddy and I who both have talons was wondering the same thing if it was building up pressure. What is the hose actually glued onto the nipple?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine is leaking on driver side also

·
Registered
2 Posts
My buddy and I who both have talons was wondering the same thing if it was building up pressure. What is the hose actually glued onto the nipple?
Not sure if the nipple is glued into tubing or breather hose was glued to nipple but the hose had glue in it and I also made sure nipple was open, then blew air thru it. Don’t know if this was the cause of leak, but definitely a contributing factor, in my opinion.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X 4 Live Valve
60 Posts
Got mine back from dealer, warranty covered the cost of repair. $6.11 seal and 3.20 hrs labor @ $129.00 ph for a total of $419.91.
I just got mine back from the seal replacement. They had the new updated seal from Honda. It took them right around 3 hours to complete the job. It was done under warranty. I am going out next week for a while and will be using the Talon a lot. I don't expect any more issues with this fix. Time will tell.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts